Are springer front ends worth it?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to put a springer fork on my cruiser, but I'm not entirely sure. What do you think?

Some women wear like 6" heels with acrylic platforms..
I think it's a Suffer for style kinda deal with most modern interpretations of springer kits.
I've run a few, defiantly were not ridden for comfort and easy of use.

I've ridden with the rattrap, beehive, and Schwinn knee action types. The ones that have the bottom flange that allows up and down movement is the best for a smooth ride.

Do springers handle ok on dirt or grass, because I ride my cruiser to school, and I have to ride on some dirt terrain.

They are not great for stand up peddling in my experience, at least not aftermarket reproductions, some blacked out mountain bike forks could be cool option if want ride it hard.

They are not great for stand up peddling in my experience, at least not aftermarket reproductions, some blacked out mountain bike forks could be cool option if want ride it hard.
Thanks for the info, sometimes I stand up to go faster

I want to put a springer fork on my cruiser, but I'm not entirely sure. What do you think?

I think you should at least wait till you have the opportunity to test ride a bike with a springer before making your decision to abort. I realize you probably don't have the budget that some of these older folks have, however, you may be able to find parts or a donor bike relatively cheap and build a springer bike or swap the fork and try it out. If you don't like it, sell it. Or keep it if you like it a lil bit. It would be cool to have a springer bike you only ride to school on Friday. Do you have a bike with fenders to ride on rainy days?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks for the info, sometimes I stand up to go faster
I agree with @Kruez I'd see if you can't try rise one first, or maybe try see if you can't find a deal in a bike with one.
I do think a mountain bike stay fork and suspension up front is rideable and functional for a daily Rider. And sure it can take some abuse and stand up riding.
They are really common and cheap if not able find one for free.
Do you have a bicycle co-op in your area you can get to?

I believe he's looking keep moving his slick cruiser, he one in his avitar :)... Younger ratter looking get it in
Thanks glad you like my bike, I got it from AZ Beach Bikes (SIKK.INC), but it is only located in Arizona and Florida
IMG_4866.JPG

I think you should at least wait till you have the opportunity to test ride a bike with a springer before making your decision to abort. I realize you probably don't have the budget that some of these older folks have, however, you may be able to find parts or a donor bike relatively cheap and build a springer bike or swap the fork and try it out. If you don't like it, sell it. Or keep it if you like it a lil bit. It would be cool to have a springer bike you only ride to school on Friday. Do you have a bike with fenders to ride on rainy days?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I do indeed have fenders and they keep mud out pretty well, when I'm riding on dirt terrain

Great advice above, IME all of those old springer forks are way to soft and sloppy feeling. I do like the early CWC springer the best out of what I have rode. That being said they are on antique 50 pound bikes with one gear, not too performance orientated all the way around. If you like to put your weight on the bars to throw a bike around or want "confidence inspiring" handling from your ride....go with something modern or a solid fork. If you wanna cruise and all the cool points you can rack up, go with a springer. ........my 2 cents....your mileage will vary.

Some of the Wallmart type bikes came with a pretty cool looking triple tree fork setup.
cheap forks 2.jpg

Maybe you can find one cheap.:thumbsup:

I agree, nice cheap or free way to make sure u like it also.. bummer ordering parts u don't end up to use or like. I'd bet someone you know may have one or can find one for $10-15 at a garage sale...
They still have a chopper look but you don't need think about peddle position going over driveways and bumps.

Plus for that price you can sell it or give it away if not like it ;)

Agree with picking up a donor bike, do you have some space to strip out a few bikes and stash some parts? craigslist is your friend, bookoo if it's in your area, Most of what I build uses parts from other bikes.

You can de-ugly a set of mountain bike forks.

Give us some specs on your bike, looks like maybe 24" rims? is the head tube 1" or 1 1/8".

Back