are some department store bikes more sought after than other

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I talked to a guy who works estate sales yesterday, he told me Schwinns sell like crazy, what got me was he said Western Flyers, and Hawthornes sell but he cant give away JC Higgins. He said nothing with that name on it moves. It makes no since to me.

wouldn't it be up to the buyer?..... i think most people are just trying to sell what the public wants, and everyone wants a schwinn...ugh, you couldn't give me one, not a fan, but i would take it to sell to someone else...hahah

Schwinn is a name people still recognize...like Chevrolet. Heck I see 00's built Schwinns and Huffy cruisers with a little rust on craigslist for crazy high prices. Folks claim they are vintage :lol:

More often than not I see any stupid bike called a "Schwinn" just to get the name brand out there and hopefully pull a buyer from it. But as you all know, any modern dept. store bike is Chinese made.

I wondered this myself since most of the antique bikes were sold through department stores. If it's Murray made, then I'm a fan, I don't care what the headbadge says.

Schwinn, meh, take it or leave it.

I'll take any Higgins hes selling, I like my old Schwinns but i'll take an old Murray built bike anyday over a Schwinn. Schwinn is just a top 40 name that the mindless masses can relate to.

Let em think that way!

Leaves the columbias, hawthornes,etc. 4 us!!

Not a schwinn fan either.

They bellybutton bikes..everybodys got 1!!

When I first got into this I was all about getting an old Schwinn, years later I have a 50's Western Flyer tank bike, a 46 or 47 JC Higgins rat, a Huffy camaro rat, a ladies Sonic Flyer, a 24" Spaceliner, and a 24" girls JC Higgins, The only Schwinns I have are a Bantam I got for my kids and 2 light weights I cant get rid of.

Back