Are banana seats comfortable?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the way they look, but it'll also be cool if the ride is actually comfortable haha. So what's your experience with em? does it make anything difficult? Do they only go well with certain frames?

around the neighborhood theyre fine, if your going across town and out and about id suggest a suspension sissy bar or a really wide banana seat like on a manta ray or the really wide western flyer nana seats. my .02 anyway

There kinda like a 2x4 for comfort. Short ride there ok. I used a exer-cycle seat for a swing bike I built, fat and cumfy, then went to a naner seat and its like a 2x4 but with a little padding.

CCR said:
around the neighborhood theyre fine, if your going across town and out and about id suggest a suspension sissy bar or a really wide banana seat like on a manta ray or the really wide western flyer nana seats. my .02 anyway
like this?
Troxel Wester flyer seat
and is a suspension sissy bar a specific type or is that zee actual name?[sorry for my newbness]

Try finding ones that have a rounded contour (like the old Stingray seats). The squared off aftermarket ones are the least comfortable.

I got my Schwinn Sting Ray this week and at first I thought "Wow, this banana seat really is comfy" but the more I ride it, it's really not comfy to your inner thighs. I'm use to a skinny tiny road type seat used on my mountain bike, so this wider stance doesn't work well, for the novelty of my Sting Ray, I'm keeping it, but for a cruiser or something else for longer trips... no way.

rounder pans are definitely more comfy, but for some reason, I find the solo polo a pretty comfy ride.

JuggyWuggy said:
CCR said:
like this?
Troxel Wester flyer seat
and is a suspension sissy bar a specific type or is that zee actual name?[sorry for my newbness]

yup thats what im talking about, theyre wider so its like sitting on a 2x6 instead of a 2x4 :lol:

i mean a suspension sissy bar like they use on the krates, like this

they help take out some of the bumps in the ride :mrgreen:

Most banana seats are like sitting on a 2x4 on the 2" side. :(

That being said, there are a few jumbo seats that are really comfortable.

The one at the back is a cheap jumbo lowrider seat. Its a few inch's longer (for those 26" big kid muscle bikes) but its also a lot wider (and flat to the very edge)
IMG_0890.jpg

IMG_1244.jpg

Never bothered me when I was 13. Probably wouldn't like it now. Not only am I accustomed to being more over the pedals, my posterior is a lot pickier now. :? :mrgreen:

Korporal said:
What are your thoughts on thigh chaffage?

Shammy Butter!

500 Posts Woo-Hoo!

Seriously, I think that's the worst part about those squared off pans. I'm either gona' build a 'Naner from scratch or reshape one.
The squared pans may work better for someone who has the seat slammed and pedals are arranged in a crank forward format however.

JoKeR63 said:
Korporal said:

Shammy Butter!

500 Posts Woo-Hoo!

Seriously, I think that's the worst part about those squared off pans. I'm either gona' build a 'Naner from scratch or reshape one.
The squared pans may work better for someone who has the seat slammed and pedals are arranged in a crank forward format however.

if ya look at the seat i posted, its square/wide under the butt then tapers really quickly (also much rounder near the front) and cause of the extra length, it doesn't sit you right above the crank.

It's probably one of the best designed nana's i've riden on.

icyuod2 said:
JoKeR63 said:
Korporal said:

Shammy Butter!

500 Posts Woo-Hoo!

if ya look at the seat i posted, its square/wide under the butt then tapers really quickly (also much rounder near the front) and cause of the extra length, it doesn't sit you right above the crank.

It's probably one of the best designed nana's i've riden on.

Are you referring to the super-sized Krate there Icy? I got one just like that and feel it needs some mods. I see that you relocated the sissy bar mount. Did that improve the comfort on it?

BTW, the cat looks like the most comfortable seat in all those pics. :wink:

Back