Applying striping tape... HELP!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I bought some checkerboard ISC racer tape to go down the middle of the fenders on my 3G. But applying it is proving more difficult than I anticipated. Probably just because I didn't really think it through too much.).

The problem is a fender is a pretty severe compound curve and the 2" wide tape just wants to crinkle up along the edges.

Has anyone got any ideas for how to apply it and avoid the edge crinkles? Or is it just a cae of sticking square tape on a round fender?

http://www.amazon.com/ISC-Checkerboard- ... B0012C1BN0

this stuff ??

does it have any stretch to it ?
id cut a piece long enough, start from the rear, press the center down the length for a few inches but leave the edges loose, go back to the rear edges, pull them tight at the sides and press them down, and repeat a few inches at a time, and pull the stripe back up if you have to. if your still having trouble with the edges wrinkling up id make some tiny cuts along the peak of the wrinkles and either trim the wrinkle out fully or make a single cut and lay the longer edge over the other ... preferably not making any cuts that would have black laying over white and white laying over the black.... if that makes sense. your fighting a curved surface and most times youll have to chase wrinkles out with any decal.

If it's vinyl, A good trick is to use soapy water on the adhesive. This neutralizes the adhesive and makes it slippery. This will allow you to move the decal where you want. Use a credit card to squeegee the the soapy water from underneath the decal. Give it a day or so for the soapy water to completely dry

You can also try using a hair dryer to warm up the vinyl as your applying the decal. This will make it easier to stretch and form it to the curves.

deorman said:
If it's the vinyl stuff, stretching and working to the edges as stated is the answer. Notch cutting looks terrible.

and heat helps.

if it is vinyl tape a mixture of water, dish soap and 95% alcohol can be used to help!

16 oz spray bottle with 4 oz of alcohol
8 drops of regular clear dish soap
fill the rest of the way with HOT water (shake)

the hot water will soften the vinyl to conform to the shape you need
start in the middle of the fender * with a bondo spreader and work one side at a time smoothing out water bubbles and air.

or a not so forgiving way is to use a hair dryer and heat tape as you lay it down but if your not careful you will stretch the tape.

*edited for soft plastic bondo spreader

Back