Ape Hangers?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm brand new to RRB. I have a 59 speedster I want to put ape hangers on. I can't seem to find any for a 1" clamp. Any suggestions? Do the ones with the 7/8" to 1" shims work or not?
Any help will be appreciated.
Thanks

Easiest way to approach this is to search " Wald high rise handlebars". There you will find a variety of shapes and sizes with a 1" clamping area. If you want the taller than Wald apes in 7/8" and need shims, look for knurled shims with the grooves in them. Old school had the grooves going the full length of the shim. With tall apes the leverage at the stem clamp is a lot,so they may slip. It helps to use a quill stem with 2 to 4 clamping bolts, similar to a BMX stem if the stem diameter is the same.

Thanks for all the information guys. I appreciate the experienced comments. I do kind of like the taller bars, but I'm not sure how tall and wide the original Schwinn apes are. That may be the better way or go to get the 1" stem clamp. Thanks again

Sorry, haven't had a chance to pull them out and PM the details to you. I will tonight. The Schwinn Krate bars I have are pretty tall. Not like modern 19" ape hangers, but IMO those look silly as they are so tall.

Back