ape hangers when are they too tall?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The CPSA of 1972, et al. The part on Bicycles is under 16 CFR 1512. Handlebars are under paragraph 1512.6(c). "Handlebars shall allow comfortable and safe control of the bicycle. Handlebar ends shall be ... no more than 16 inches above the seat surface when the seat is in its lowest position and the handlebar ends are in their highest position".

The CPSA applies to the Commerce (sales) of products, (and their testing), but it could be the local laws that control aftermarket changes and use on public roads - such as a rule relative to one's shoulder height.

However, the above part of the regulation might only apply to mechanically hazardous bicycles for children (12 years age or younger), as it actually stems from the "Child Protection Act" of 1966.

Last edited:
I got new 25" ape hangers for my cruiser, and I barely feel any flex, is this a sign that my stem is sturdy?

Hey you fat ape.
fatape.jpg

I agree (as does my buddy) that the saddle looks like it's angled back a little too far, but it's actually pretty comfortable like that! Angling it forward makes the rider feel like he's going to fall off the front of the seat.

Back to the main question of "ape hangers -- when are they too tall?" I can now say "when they're so tall they crack the stem."

I was starting up from a traffic light when I heard and felt a small "pop" from the handlebars, and once I was up to speed I was able to rock the bars forward and backward maybe a half inch up at the grips. I had never had a BMX bike (or stem) before, but I was reasonably confident that I'd torqued that four-bolt cover plate down correctly when I put the bars on. As I rode the two blocks home, though, I started wondering whether or not I HAD done it correctly, and figured that all that leverage must have somehow overcome the clamp.

Imagine my surprise when I got home and grabbed my allen wrenches, then saw the CRACK up the back of the stem! As far as I'm concerned, that stem is now going in the trash after I salvage the bolts and the "quill wedge." It was a relatively inexpensive "no name brand" stem, so I'm not going to try to return it.

As to WHY it failed, all I can guess is that the 25" ape hangers just created too much torque at the stem. As mentioned before, I was only starting up from a stop light that had just turned green, and I wasn't in a particular hurry so I wasn't really pulling on the bars for leverage. I certainly wasn't trying to pop a wheelie or jump over a curb, either!

This was a typical "just riding along when the part failed" WITH the asterisk of "with some REALLY tall handlebars!"

I would have thought that a typical teenager riding and/or abusing a BMX bike with BMX-type bars would put MORE stress on the stem than I would by "just" riding on the street with those bars, but apparently not.

Has anybody else had this sort of problem before? Part of me wants to try it again with those bars and a better, brand name STEEL BMX stem that's in the mail now, but another part of me thinks it would be safer to just put on some shorter ape hangers and call it a day.
I know this is a very late reply, but I think I see why the stem broke, it was probably too thin, when others are thicker for more strength like mine:
IMG_6148.JPG

IMG_6149.JPG

I think someone ought to build a set of ape hangers with a bunch of handle extensions, like a ladder. They could call them Donkey Kong bars. It would solve the problem of how tall is too tall, but having to buy 10 pairs of grips might be slightly impractical.
Bar ends! I put a barend about half way down on the right side of some apes, just to put the grip shifter there while testing them out. Didnt wanna change shift cable just for a few rides. Liked it, so put the left one on aswell. Called em buck-bars. Like antlers on a buck. I guess you could add more of em, and it would be 4, 6 or 8-point buck-bars [emoji16]

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back