anyone ship a frame via UPS lately?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I shipped a Huffy frame, no fork and I think they hosed me for $58 clams!!!!!

Receipt said:

actual weight: 15.5 lbs
billable weight:32 lbs
ground residential: $51.37
fuel surcharge: $4.00
delivery area surcharge: $2.75

ship from NJ to AZ

just wondering if this is what UPS is chargin these days.

I always use USPS, parcel post. If you use their webpage to calculate a shipping price, select "other" when the results come up, there you see the parcel post price. There is a certian size box where the price takes a big jump, make up your box to stay within those dimensions. 44" x 24" x 8" is right at the limit and usually is plenty big enough for a frame and parts, but not big enough for wheels also. Even a heavy frame/forks shouldn't cost more than 24 dollars to ship. I've added seats, cranks, fenders and paid about 28 dollars, but that was heavy. If the clerk tries to charge you more, they may be adding to the dimensions, let them know you know the exact dimensions. Here's a thread I did from way back:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=28022&hilit=+box

Yeah, USPS used to be the best way to go for frames or wheelsets under 84 linear inches.. now that's not the case and they're all equally expensive.

From the USPS website:

"Standard Post
Standard Post (formerly Parcel Post) is for single-piece mailings which consist of any mailable matter that is not required to be mailed as First-Class Mail. It is commonly used for gifts and merchandise. There are no bulk prices for Standard Post."

with USPS that 84 inch thing makes all the difference... theres another size that goes up to "108in. total" for around $50. its the cheapest way I've found around here to ship big stuff

Shipped a hole bike, ID to IL. $100 for ground. #50. Can you say ouch. Next time I know to charge more.

Back