Anyone know what this bike might be?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The middle of the Upper Peninsula of Michigan
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
This is a picture of my across the street neighbors when we were kids. The two boys on it were my best friends back in the 50s. I think this picture might have been taken in 1951 or 52? Can anyone tell me what kind of bike they are on. It's a poor picture, but the only one in existence of the bike. It was his first bike and he doesn't remember much about it except it was a skip tooth with what we called racing sprockets because the chain wheel seemed bigger than everyone else's. The truss rods look Schwinn as does the fork and that could be a sweet hart sprocket and it and it looks like some kind of straight bar but the picture is so bad I can't tell for sure. Model C Schwinn? I remember it having a cross bar on the handlebars but it looks to be missing in this picture, perhaps that was added later. Any ideas what the bike could be?
17237109_10209487604720783_1529029424_o.jpg

Last edited:
It does look very Schwinn-ish to me, but not the Conti. Maybe a Model W-24/25? I can't get past the fact that this bike has an intermediate bar. Were any of the diamond-frame Schwinns so constructed?

Further evidence pointing at Schwinn is the rear bracket on the chain guard. No other bikes had that type that I've ever seen.

I'd guess Schwinn, but not a Model C. I think the bike is more like a B9 or something along those lines; a "motorbike" with balloon tires.
image-jpeg.281656

Something like that,maybe? Tough to tell from the pic.... wish those kids would get off the bike LOL

Scratch that... looking at where the mid-tube hits the downtube, but not the headtube, I think it's the smaller B 1½ frame, which makes sense b/c the kids are small. The B10 and B9 bikes were 18" seat-tube bikes; the B 1½ was still a 26" wheel bike, but with a 16" seat-tube and, i believe, a shorter top-tube. I'm feeling pretty confident, at this point.

Latest posts

Back