Anyone else ride Longboards

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Take `em out on the smaller days :D

sj_pipes2.jpg

like a skateboard?

i keep considering it. i've got some nice wheels and trucks on an old water ski i made years and years back but, all i used it for is moving heavy things around the house. now the ski is cracked, so i'm thinking about looking for a cheap 36-40" board to put them on and maybe leave in my truck.

Good practice for flat days, you can do practically anything on land that you can in the water

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FDBM1JZ9mM&feature=related

expjawa said:
OK, so someone will have to explain this to me. What's the draw, what's the appeal, what's the point? What exactly do you do with one of these? I'm curious because I've never been exposed to them.

socal_jack said:
Good practice for flat days, you can do practically anything on land that you can in the water

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FDBM1JZ9mM&feature=related

Interesting. FWIW, the only water around here is a lake, so there's no surfing scene. But I still see kids riding longboards down the side walks. I had a skateboard when I was a kid (I might still somewhere), but aside from just coasting down the hill while standing on it, it never really did much for me. I almost always went back to preferring to ride a bike...

i went back and forth over the years bettween bikes, skateboards and rollerskates. still have most all of my old skateboard stuff, but it's probaly the thing i've been way from longest. i figure a longboard in the truck might make good emergency vehicle, or maybe something to pull out when i can't park close to something.

edit:pic from a "show your skate stuff" on a roller skate forum i lurk on off and on

Picture060.jpg

the blue indy truck with the red kryptos is on the water ski i want to replace with a long board

I will never be old enough to have to ride a longboard. We do own two (8'0" & 9'0") as well as two longboard skateboards (Hobie Fiberflex).

c.p.odom said:
I will never be old enough to have to ride a longboard. We do own two (8'0" & 9'0") as well as two longboard skateboards (Hobie Fiberflex).
I still ride my shortboard and funshape, but we seem to be flat more than ever, so the longboard gets in the water most. Surfing and skateboarding has always been a great way stay in shape, but as I've gotten older my size has increased and reflexes slowed. I used to be very good at both, but now I've regressed to almost kook level. :?

Sounds like you're stuck in the past, it's got nothing to do with age, in the words of Kelly Slater, "Ride everything!" Use the right equipment for the conditions, or even mix it up. I own/ride everything from 6'4" to 10'6" they're all fun!

c.p.odom said:

Stuck in the past? Boy you don't know the half of it.
Life long Kneeboarder! (not the only one on this site either)

There's a local kid(well not so much a kid anymore) Ryan Burch and some of his buddies starting a beyond retro movement, surfing raw, square, foam blanks. Funny to see some of the stuff he takes out, the rat rods of surfboards big chunky fins slovenly glued on a hacked off board stuff like that, if there are fins at all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Trm1elGdoMM

If the waves are good, I ride a shortboard, but seeing that I live in Florida, my longboard gets plenty of action.

Socal_Jack, there is a kid in Encinitas named Jack that films these guys, not you is it?
And Beachside, you know I know what you ride.

I used to ride longboards back in about 89, then I took it up for a bit in 94. Surfed a little too down in FL. I too have a water ski I outfitted with roller skate trucks and wheels about 12 yrs ago. They go great on long hills. I still use it on a long hill here in town we call rollercoaster road.

Back