Anyone catch the Ross Apollo OCC Butchered?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Body: Kokomo, In... Mind: in the gutter. Soul: in
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Did anyone else see the almost mint Ross Apollo bike that OCC butchered for their car show. Didn't even get a $5 bid. Such a waste of a good bike. :cry:

MagicRat said:
I saw it and it was a shame.

If I had thier money...I'd burn mine.

Then send me the remains to make a Rat Rod out of. :mrgreen:

truthfully, the thread title threw me. i was expecting to see a ross apollo with an occ rear tire or something. it's got the noodle wiggling.

They probably put a wider rear wheel/tire, and a 3 ft fork on it. Why even use an existing bike. When you have those kind of resources, tools, and skills available , why not make your own frame and leave original parts for people who don't? I'm curious to see what they made of it as well.

They basically cut the neck off, added about 3 feet of tubing, then made some new handlebars that were ridiculously big for the bike, couldn't even ride it...lol.

outskirtscustoms said:
They basically cut the neck off, added about 3 feet of tubing, then made some new handlebars that were ridiculously big for the bike, couldn't even ride it...lol.

eh... that doesn't sound interesting anyway. now that it's stuck in my head though, an old muscle bike with an occ rear tire sounds like an interesting project. i wouldn't do a super vintage krate or eliminator or something, but if i find a bare frame or basic model of something i can make it work with, i may try it.

That's one thing that a brat's low-rider is good for. This is one I built with West coast shopper tires. Would be sweet with an OCC rear though. Excuse my mancave mess. :mrgreen:

P2070474.jpg

ozzmonaut said:
When you have those kind of resources, tools, and skills available , why not make your own frame and leave original parts for people who don't? I'm curious to see what they made of it as well.

Agreed.
I don't watch the show anyhow.

I currently have 4 Ross Apollo's. I had one as a kid in 1976. They are a much more interesting bike than a Stingray and all the look alikes.

I was never a fan. After all anyone with $40, 000 and a full machine shop at their disposal should be able to make a show quality bike, and with a whole lot less bickering. I'd rather see what somebody does with their bare hands and a hacksaw.

The problem I have with OCC and their creations is that there is really no engineering involved. They use off the shelf engines and transmissions and many times off the shelf frames. Most times they slap it together for aesthetics without regard to how it fits the person and they rarely discuss the mechanics behind the power train or even braking system.

Living in NY, I've been to their showroom twice, back in 2005 and as recently as 2 months ago, both times I just so happened to be in the area. The motorcycles are really nice to look at but I couldn't imagine riding most of them due to poor fitment, handling and safety.

I'm also tired of TV that has everyone on a rushed time schedule to hurry and get it done, that doesn't make the show exciting to me, it's actually annoying. The show is more about attitude and personality differences than building the bikes, but I suppose it is the continuing dumbing down of our society.

BTW, I don't have cable TV, so I don't get to see this show often. When I do, I realize that I am not missing anything.

Back