Anybody good with Car Audio?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Hey Guys

Need some help

Im looking to buy some new speakers for my car, and a deck...but i dont know what to buy. Im looking for cheap, but will sound good, and be durable. I would like good brands, and minimal brand mixing.

heres what i need:
Front: 5-1/4"
Rear: 6" x 9"
Front door: 5-1/4"
Rear deck: 6" x 9"
(where exactly would these speakers go too...i got these dimensions from online)

The deck needs to be sirius Ready, and ipod ready...doesnt need the fancy DVD player...or massive touch screen...
Ill probably be shopping at best buy

Anybody want to help me out? or give me some pointers?

best buy is fine they usually have guys there that know the stuff pretty well
i have have pioneers in my camaro that work just fine for me 2 6x9's and 2 5's up front and a deck
the deck is old cuz i got it in like 2000 when i got the car but it works fine im sure you can find a new model for a decent price
i got mine at best buy as well
my buddy just bought a g8 and it came with an 11 speaker blaupunkt system, its. loud.

I built custom cars for a few years and after seeing a lot of brands the only thing I will put in my own cars is Alpine. They offer many levels at affordable prices for head units. They have a proprietary agreement with Apple on iPod synching as well. Their iPod interface is flawless. For speakers the Alpine Type-S line is a great deal. Very nice speakers and a low price. Obviously I'd vote Alpine...

ElChupacabra said:
I built custom cars for a few years and after seeing a lot of brands the only thing I will put in my own cars is Alpine. They offer many levels at affordable prices for head units. They have a proprietary agreement with Apple on iPod synching as well. Their iPod interface is flawless. For speakers the Alpine Type-S line is a great deal. Very nice speakers and a low price. Obviously I'd vote Alpine...

No head unit other than Alpine will ever be in my car.
clarity and quality is just unmatched. their component speakers do get a little pricey. 100 a set or so.
Memphis is what im using in my bronco (no roof) due to life time warranty; actually covers when I get rain in them, they also run 100-110 a set.

Other brands ive used,
Sony (xplod series) around 70 for 6x9s never had a problem with them. I had a sony H.U. which never gave me problems (clarity isnt the same as my alpine) but plays music louder than necessary.

Depending on the car, rear deck speakers need to be put in through the trunk.
And your door speakers just pop off the panel and should be right there.

Allrighty...someone in school told me a sony xplod deck is really nice...didnt specify which one.

I was looking at these speakers:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp ... 6236105775
theyre cheap...and sound good(unless i was hearing a woofer i didnt see)

I didnt really try any alpines because (i think) the prices scared me...because i was broke at the moment.

Now whats with all these materials(like cone)...should therre be something i should look for or no...?

And amps....which amp should i be getting

Don't buy coaxals or 2/3-way speakers. Buy those series, where mid-bass and tweeters are diffrent... What do you call those, i don't remember the right word.
If you want bass, you need woofer. Normal speakers ain't good for good bass. If you don't have much space, try JL Audio 8" woofer. You only need 11 liter box and i can say, that thing is get low.

I got jvc cd/mp3 player (sucks.), Helix 6,5" + 1" speakers, ground zero amplifier and 10" dls woofer. Not any pressure series (122db), but very good rock 'n' roll set. Only head unit sucks. I can get it as loud as i wanna!

Edit: don't buy sony head unit. The cd-player ain't working. It stops playing when you drive somekind pump and after one year it broke up. That's my own experience.

personally i dont mind mixing and matching :shock:
pioneer deck through kenwood 6's and 6x9s(doors and package tray) infinity tweeters(a pillars) trough a sony xplod amp(dclass 800 watter) into 2 rockford fosgate 10" punch woofers(sealed box) you can be heard from far away if you want to but still hear your music instead of just feeling it
from what ive been seeing around here now alot of people are starting to use audio bahn and ive been fairly impressed(you might consider checking out there web site for prices and what they have)

Just don't go overboard. Remember the audio system should never exceed the value of the car. :)

Here are a few links to what I put in my truck. Nothing too fancy, but it'll do. If you are going for a budget, but still want good sound, look at teh JVC head units. I had 5 different JVC models before the panasonic i currently have and i have been kicking myself since I got it. Don't get me wrong, i like what I have, but the JVC stuff is very easy to use and teh sound quality is good right out of the box.

And use Dynamat, it make a big difference for relatively little $.

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/showt ... p?t=190132
http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/showt ... p?t=173127

Back