Any rat-roddish rides/gatherings in Southern New England?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not gonna lie, outside of this wonderful site I'm the only person in my area who voluntarily rides old cruisers and it makes me kind of sad. Anyone from Southern New England/Cape Cod that has (or knows of) any kind of rides or other 'Rod-centric events around here?

The only ones I'm aware of are the swap in Dudley and the one in Monson. I have heard that sometimes people will bring bikes and ride but I haven't seen it. There was also some talk about a ride in Northampton but I'm not sure what's up with that.

Hop on 95and..
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=41777

http://www.bareiss.net/bikeride.html

There's a lot of us in Southern New England. Other than Rob (NLCTVWguy), we aren't to organized.....Although Joe (yeshoney) has organized a few rides. We've ridden in New Haven, Hartford, Northampton, New London. I've driven to the cape and did a ride with Graylock. Last year a few of us went to Ayer for a HPV festival. My wife and I took scooters, kickbikes, did 7-8 miles, thought I was going to die....If you have any ideas, toss them around, maybe something can come of it.

Thanks for the info guys. I'll definitely check out that show KOTA, thanks again. Nice to know there is some cool stuff going on fairly nearby.

Bike New London has a few events coming up soon...

July 3rd: Lighthouse Bicycle Tour

(This is more of a road-bike ride, or at least a longer distance ride than what we usually put together for the club rides/ pub crawls)
Meet at Fort Trumbull State Park in New London CT, 11AM July 3rd 2011.
The ride will take us to 4 Lighthouses and 2 Museums in an afternoon of riding. Total round trip approx 25 miles.

We will visit the New London Harbor Light (not open to the public for over 30 yrs)
Avery Point Light (UCONN campus, Groton, CT)
Morgan Point Light (privately owned, special access arranged for our group) Noank CT
Old Stonington Lighthouse, Stonington Borough
US Custom House Museum, New London
Mystic Seaport Museum, Mystic CT.

This ride is FREE and sponsored by the New London Maritime Society, Bike New London, and the CT Humanities Council.

Bike Fest 2011:
Safety demonstrations, free bicycle tuneups and repairs, free helmets, and a Custom Bike Show.
New London Waterfront Park, Saturday, August 6th, 2011, 12PM to 3PM.

Moonlight Ride:
Saturday August 13th, 2011, 7:30 PM
Ride Pequot Avenue in New London under the light of the full moon on a midsummer evening. Headlights and proper safety gear required, otherwise bring whatever you want to ride. A ride to nowhere under the full moon.

For more info email [email protected]

(And Kota thanks for the link, but I'm afraid that website is out of date... another thing I have to catch up on!)

--Rob Bareiss
Chairman, Bike New London

Also, I will be on the Cape for a little vacation, July 10-13th... we're bringing bikes and definitely want to get out on some of the bike trails. We'll be staying in Barnstable.

Email me at [email protected] and we'll set something up that involves old bikes and fresh beer.

--Rob

NLCTVWguy said:
Also, I will be on the Cape for a little vacation, July 10-13th... we're bringing bikes and definitely want to get out on some of the bike trails. We'll be staying in Barnstable.

Email me at [email protected] and we'll set something up that involves old bikes and fresh beer.

--Rob
We did a lot of the Cape Cod trail last year, 53 miles (2 days), and the canal last month, one side back and forth about15 miles. TOTAL enjoyment!

Gonna try to get some rides going around the guilford, branford area in ct. Used to get a little ride together once a month but haven't this year. Layed back ride... usually some beer and good times

NLCTVWguy said:

--Rob

Hey man thanks for the info! I won't be able to make the ride the 3rd but I'm definitely planning on checking out the show on August 6th, seems like an awesome event/club and a cool place to have it all. And speaking of the Cape maybe we could get something going on the rail trail or the falmouth path...I'd be free on the 12th if anyone's interested. Bikes and beer...what's not to love?

There has been talk of going a ride here in Rhode Island on the East Bay bike path but nothing set in stone yet. If anyone wants to set up a ride around the Dudley Swap on July 24th im down for that.

Well we didn't get as much biking in on our vacation as I'd have liked... but the Cape bike paths were really nice. We did ride the Nauset Point -Coast Guard trail up near Wellfleet.

The day we were at the Canal trail it was really rough, constant 20+ mph winds and while I would have ridden, no one with me would have had fun with that.

Anyway... our two events are still on and everyone in the area is invited!

:arrow: August 6th 2011: Saturday, 12 to 3PM. BIKE FEST NEW LONDON!

Rat Rodders come together with your best and craziest rides for a Custom Bike Show! Free bike tuneups and repairs! Free helmets for kids thanks to the Kiwanis! Safety instruction, helmet fitting, the latest rides on display from the bike shops! Free event and open to all ages! Group ride following Bike Fest. We may even do some drag races!

:arrow: August 13th 2011: Saturday, 7:30PM. Bike New London presents the Moonlight Ride. Join us for a cruise under the full moon, down to the beach and back. Meet at Fort Trumbull State Park for a special nighttime ride. Proper gear required- headlight and rear reflector at minimum, required by state law. Approx 7 mile round trip.

Email with any questions about these rides at [email protected]

Back