any one put 3" tire on a 4" wide rims? pics?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Im thinking three inch wide tires on a four unch wide rim would look cool Any one done it? Im thinkin it look cool on my firebike. Got pics?

Ty

I'll try a set of 26 x 3 Kenda Flames on the wheels of my beast this weekend.
I wonder how much less they weigh.

9kqxxd.jpg

Thats exactly what im thinking. .. I might buy a beast just for the wheels its already got 26x3 kendas on it. Take some pics for me when you do it!?

The beast came with 26 x 4 1/4 inch tires, the kenda 26 x 3 should be less tall along with being narrower.

I've seen lots of guys running 26x100mm wheels with 26x 2.125 tires so I'd say, yeah you can without problems. The only thing is the tire will be stretched out and a lot thinner looking(it'll be like 1" tall instead of 2". Just guessing on the height difference.).
How about some pics of your firebike or a link please! :mrgreen:

Yeah I can picture what its going to look like in my head but its always nice to see it in real life know what I mean? I know itll look kind of like a streetbike motorcycle tire I think it will look cool on the back with a 2" rim upfront. Heres a shot of the bike the seat has been dyed black and the springs and frame of the seat sandblasted and painted black also since this pic 8)
SAM_0655.jpg

Correction on my part, The Beast has 26 x 4" tires. They weigh 7 lbs with the tube, the front wheel itself only weighs 4 lbs. That's 11 lbs for the front, the rear is a little more with the hub, but I didn't weigh the rear. The 3" Kenda Flame didn't fit. It never went to the bead, even with 30psi, so I gave up on it.

257drhd.jpg

When I get my Beast in, I will have to try a BOA 3.4 on it to see if it will seat against the rim.

I would guess something with a more rounded edge might work better. If I remember right someone had done something like this before and they used a strap to spread the bead out to the rim.

Hmmm that sucks thats what I was going to run on the rims. Im just not a fan of the huge tall 4" tire. I read somewhere that the boa 3.4 tire is actually narrower then the kenda 3" I think the 3g tires are exaggerated with there sizing

Tychevelle said:
Hmmm that sucks thats what I was going to run on the rims. Im just not a fan of the huge tall 4" tire. I read somewhere that the boa 3.4 tire is actually narrower then the kenda 3" I think the 3g tires are exaggerated with there sizing

It may be worth trying the strap trick on the flames. If I remember right, someone took one of those ratcheting cargo straps and looped it around the centerline of the tire tread. I guess if you squeeze that in and put some air in, it will pop the bead out to the rim.

I agree that the BOAs are probably overstated as 3.4s.

The Boa's work on these rims, I have a set on my Dolomite. Its in the fat bike section, under Street Dolomites. Rides much nicer this way, Dave.

Ok thanks! I have a custom frame being built with the 26x4 rims, I have a set of the 26x3 tires from them, so it was a good gamble!! Thanks very much! Do you have a picture of how it looks?

Back