Any one know matches to schwinn stingray colors???

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Hey guys,

Anyone know any matches to schwinn colors? or know where to get paint besides Hyper-formance?
Looking for coppertone, violet, skyblue, and cardinal red

bicycleguy said:
My local Napa auto parts store does paint matching and they can put it in a spray can as well.

yeah my local auto parts store supplies PPG paint to all the body shops they can scan and match also but I was told I need a flat surface around 3x3.... that dont exist on a bike frame or guard :( plus I dont have some of the colors, im changing a few of them diff colors

i have a small bottle of schwinn factory touch up paint in cardinal red if that helps.

The Hyper-Formance paint is nice and it's worth it. You get more that you get in a regular can. Yes it's not cheap. But it's urethane automotive paint and you'll be able to get a lot of use out of a single can.

You can get a local shop to put up the silver base coat in a can for you, and save some shipping, but I've found that custom colors in matching paint are not only more expensive than Hyper-Formance, but as much as the price including shipping.

The violet is a perfect match. The others do require a gentle touch to avoid being too dark.

--Rob

NLCTVWguy said:
The Hyper-Formance paint is nice and it's worth it. You get more that you get in a regular can. Yes it's not cheap. But it's urethane automotive paint and you'll be able to get a lot of use out of a single can.

You can get a local shop to put up the silver base coat in a can for you, and save some shipping, but I've found that custom colors in matching paint are not only more expensive than Hyper-Formance, but as much as the price including shipping.

The violet is a perfect match. The others do require a gentle touch to avoid being too dark.

--Rob

good to know, how many cans does it take to do a frame from hyperformance? all the paints need a silver base coat?

Coppertone, red, blue and violet will all need silver base coat. And as stated, tou will need a lot of light and a light touch to get the colors even. These are "candy" paints and are semi opaque. If your coats are not even, noticeable color variations will occur.Krylon X-metals is nice but more sparkly. The red is almost a dead ringer, but you do need to follow label directions very specifically. This product tends to be time/temp. sesitive, but yields nice results. :wink:

ok ill have to look for that, the local auto parts store here has some metalic spray paints cant remember the brand I think its plasti-coat as they cary alot of there products they have a blue ive used and its close to sky blue and is a candy opaquish paint but like you said is more sparkly. they have a purple that looks really close to schwinn violet, a red and green but they are more metalic then original colors. id like them to be close to originals as I can be im not looking to sell them afterwards or them to be top show winners but want them to be mint as posible cause im picky :lol:

coppertone is the tough one

are you going to do them in a base/clear with auto paints? if so and you can get to a ppg dealer i can give you the code for the coppertone and violet....those are the only 2 ive matched so far

Yeah! That be awesome! My buddy that's painting them does big dollar hot rods and only uses ppg it will be base clear. He's found a color close to the sunset orange for my fastback but haven't got the others blasted yet. Pm me?

Many of the Schwinn colors are candies. That means the color is translucent. The finished look is achieved with a silver or gold base. This is a three step process. Application of candy is very very tricky. If it is not evenly applied, it will look different.

Latest posts

Back