any one ever try this bare metal trick?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so i was talking to my powder coat guy about doing some chrome powder coat. he told not to go that rout with him. the chrome just does not look very good. i thought it was cool that he was not trying to sell me some thing i wouldn't like. it turns out he restores old schwinns so we talked for a wile about bikes and i told him i had a bunch of parts like my 3 piece cranks that were bare metal and i clear coated them. but now there is surface rust starting to develop and those parts. i told him i wanted to keep the bare metal look and this is what he told me. take the parts back to bare metal and coat them with some kind of oil. like olive oil or any kind of cooking oil and bake it for at least an hour. he said it would darken just a little and gives it a sweet look. he said also to hang it because the rack will leave marks. he said he never did it but has seen it done. he said he was not sure of the temp or time but he was guessing 350 for an hour. just wandering if any one has done this. i would think it works i mean thats what you do to a cast iron pan so it wont rust.

Sounds like it would work.

I personally like chrome powder coat, if it is done right. The surface you are working with has everything to do with the final results. Have your guy media blast the part clean. Then take to it with some 400 grit sand paper and get the part smooth. I use a product called Lab-Metal to fill any dings or pits and sand it again. If you put the prep work into the part the chrome powder looks very good. Don't expect it to look like genuine chrome, if that is what you want then shell out the cash. From 10' it is hard to tell the difference if it is done well.

udallcustombikes said:
Sounds like it would work.

I personally like chrome powder coat, if it is done right. The surface you are working with has everything to do with the final results. Have your guy media blast the part clean. Then take to it with some 400 grit sand paper and get the part smooth. I use a product called Lab-Metal to fill any dings or pits and sand it again. If you put the prep work into the part the chrome powder looks very good. Don't expect it to look like genuine chrome, if that is what you want then shell out the cash. From 10' it is hard to tell the difference if it is done well.

+1 I use chrome powder coat all the time & it's all in the prep work. But, like Cameron said if you want it to look like genuine chrome, chrome plate it. I think it's as close as you will ever get without really being chrome plated. I can post some pics of PC chrome if you like.

Baking with oil is just like seasoning your dutch oven the first time.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk

that sharkhyde reminds me of the big dollar coatig marinas put on boats. After smelling it one day,I realized its the same product I put on my bare-concrete floors. Its nothing more than vinyl floor wax. We buy it as Bowling alley coating. I have used it on my old bassboat, and its like putting on a coat of clear. But its vinyl. Holds up well. I can see that being used on crankgears,or bare metal frames. JMHO.

cman said:
Baking with oil is just like seasoning your dutch oven the first time.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk

That's it, if the cast iron cookware isn't seasoned properly, it rusts. It lasts years if it has the coating.

I've done that with some car parts after a suggestion from a friend. It worked pretty good. I used Olive oil, and baked at 350 for a little over an hour. Just make sure whatever you use is not going to catch fire! lol

The heating must make the olive oil go deeper into the pours of the metal. I have used olive oil on bare brass musical instruments with great success. You coat the brass ( I used an airbrush ) with olive oil and let it set a couple days...then lightly wipe off the part with a soft cloth. The oily feel and look are gone but the olive oil left in the metal stops oxidation.
I've got to try it on steel and use some heat.

Ya thank God olive oil is good for bare metal, leather,your skin, food and medicine .....Here's the oldest bare metal trick.......
oldbike005.jpg

Thanks for the post

"So you have an Idea? Save it, you might need it when you grow up"....Spanky-The little rascals

The problem with the chrome powders is they look great on their own after curing but due to the metallic content of the powder it must be clear coated to avoid oxidation and to avoid discoloring from fingerprints or any other oil or chemical that gets on it. Unfortunately when you clear coat it the like refraction is differant and it dulls the mirror shine to it significantly turning it to a shiney silver and not chrome like. If you see any pics of the chrome done and it looks almost like chrome I can almost guarantee it is not clear coated and will not last long. Its the nature of the beast. Every coater how has ever used it goes "wow"(good) when it come out of the oven and when they take it out after clearing they go "wow"(bad") again. :D

Back