Any model builders here?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's one that I re-did last night. The yellow was bugging me, just not enough contrast and didn't pop. No wow factor, no luster, and a Corvette should be Red.

Before (Only pic I had, it's in the background)
P8160113-1.jpg

After
P9020065.jpg

This is where Magic Rat pipes up with "little red corvette" in a youtube video

Gdcast said:
Need some ideas guys and you are the right ones to ask.
Bought an ugly VW bug "model" (is a plastic toy actually) cause around here models cost a LOT and there aren't any I like so I´ll have to pretty much make my own. No problem with that, only thing bothering me is how to make the wheels. I want classic VW wheels and not the sporty ones the toy comes with. Can´t wait to get home and dismantle this thing...
Here, a pic so you can see what we´re dealing with:

Don´t know if I´m brave or just an idiot for buying this for 3 bucks, (please don't answer that :lol: ) but some ideas on how to make those wheels would be cool :wink:

I have a set of VW steelies w/ white walls in 1/18 scale you can have if you think they'll work. I can get a pic if you like. What scale is your car? What is the measurement of the current wheels/tires?

OUTSKIRT:.......I'd be interested in your wheels if noone else has spoken up for them yet.

Sure if GDcast can't use them you're welcome to them. I live between the cornfields of Indiana too. How far are you from Kokomo?

outskirtscustoms said:
Sure if GDcast can't use them you're welcome to them. I live between the cornfields of Indiana too. How far are you from Kokomo?

By following all traffic laws?.....an hour & a half. In reality?....an hour.

outskirtscustoms said:
Here's one that I re-did last night. The yellow was bugging me, just not enough contrast and didn't pop. No wow factor, no luster, and a Corvette should be Red.

Before (Only pic I had, it's in the background)
P8160113-1.jpg

After
P9020065.jpg

nice '58 Vette. :mrgreen:

This is where Magic Rat pipes up with "little red corvette" in a youtube video

Thanks KJV.

Chips if you want those wheels and maybe do a little bike trading sometime come on by. Or I can ship them. Either way, I got lots of bikes and parts.

Outskirt: Corvette´s looking awesome!
I took some measurements last night and sadly for me your wheels are too big for what I´m planing on doing, so if Chips_Mahoy want´s them, that´s more than fine with me :wink:

Chips: The car is a cheap toy I found, don´t know the scale but I do know the wheels are 1.5 inches. I would love to see some pics of your´s and try to figure out a way to have them in my bug :mrgreen:

PS: More than a model, this is an approach to try to convince my wife that we ( I ) need a real rat bug :mrgreen:

Gdcast said:
Chips: The car is a cheap toy I found, don´t know the scale but I do know the wheels are 1.5 inches. I would love to see some pics of your´s and try to figure out a way to have them in my bug :mrgreen:

That sounds about like what I have. I'll take a pic tonight after work & will post it.

Sorry for the delay...Here they are:

They came off a Maisto 1:18 scale '51 VW Bug (the one I posted earlier in the thread). I bought the car used. It was on a shelf awhile which is why a couple of the wheels are discolored. The white walls should clean up wild mild soap & water if you choose to do white walls. The white isn't perfect. The chrome caps are good but not perfect. A little soap & water on them too will help. SO......if you're wanting perfect wheels & tires, these aren't them. If you're doing a beach bug or Rat Bug, these would work. But they're free if you want to pay shipping!

almost done chopped the top n shaved handles and emblems frenched tailights its a 57 fairlane
DSCN1170.jpg
DSCN1169.jpg
DSCN1168.jpg
n this i just smoothed the front to get rid of seams were the pieces met up n hot rod black n scallops
DSCN1171.jpg
DSCN1172.jpg
will be gettin more done i hope soon :D

...here's some...
48woodymodel011-1.jpg

...woodie with Walmart surfboard (made from paint stiring stick)
29woodymodel014.jpg

...32 highboy...
models092-1.jpg

...40 pickup...
models012.jpg

...37 pickup..
modelscedarville033.jpg

...AA truck, made from Model A coupe kit...
modelscedarville025-2.jpg

Very cool!! I'd like to build a woodie one day using real wood.

I got a 1/32 Peterbilt cabover for Christmas today. My plan is to kit-bash it and build a stretched, custom farm semi.........

Back