Any idea what's wrong here? Pedals/crank slipping?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went for a ride today and while I'd noticed this before it was getting worse today. When I pedal hard ( New Schwinn Coaster SSX - single speed ) it felt like the crank/pedal/chain slipped a few times. I thought it might be a loose kickstand bouncing around the other day but it felt weired today. When I got off the bike I was way too tired to check anything. Any ideas what I should look for?

first thing i'd check is chain tension. your chain should only have about 1 inch of 'play'.....that means when the back wheel is installed you can put your finger under the chain halfway between the front chainring and rear sprocket/cassette, if you lift the chain it should not move more than one inch up or down from its still position. if it does loosen your rear wheel axl nuts, pull the wheel toward the rear of the bike until the chain tightens up so that only the 1 inch of play can be felt. if you have rim brakes the pads may need to be adjusted.
fast eddie outty

fast eddie said:
first thing i'd check is chain tension. your chain should only have about 1 inch of 'play'.....that means when the back wheel is installed you can put your finger under the chain halfway between the front chainring and rear sprocket/cassette, if you lift the chain it should not move more than one inch up or down from its still position. if it does loosen your rear wheel axl nuts, pull the wheel toward the rear of the bike until the chain tightens up so that only the 1 inch of play can be felt. if you have rim brakes the pads may need to be adjusted.
fast eddie outty

Thanks Eddie, I'll check it out!

If, when you say skipped you mean the chain hopped off the chain ring or rear cog then the first thing that comes to mind is chain tension, or perhaps a bent chain ring or damaged tooth. But it can be something like a loose pedal which can tend to feel like a slipping rear end at times. The chain can also have a loose or damaged link. One thing is certain you should find the problem soon as some of these issues can end in catastrophic damage if left to fate.
Rick...

Thanks! It was the chain tension! Moved the rear wheel back and went for a 40 mile ride with nary a slip along the way. But my headlight flew off. I'll post about that elsewhere. Thanks again!

Back