Any idea??? AMF Roadmaster....

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, I'm new to the site. I took on a restoration project for my boss. Looking for some insight on what model this bike is. I'm from Cleveland, OH and this bike is a Puttin Bay rental bike from the sixties. It's an AMF Roadmaster......has 3 planes on the chain guard and has a red and green jeweled star sprocket. Also had red fenders originally, but the boss put these ones on already. Any idea on model and year?
1128112239.jpg

1128112240.jpg

1128112242.jpg

That's the holy grail of the star sprockets, the reflectorized one. Someone here was trying to follow the serial numbers of those Arkansas made AMF bikes, but hadn't been able to find a sequence. I had a frame with the same sprocket, the serial started with a P. It's on the left dropout I believe. I would guess late 50's early 60's, I think they went with the next version of sprocket by 1965, I'm not sure of that though. Does the seat stem tighten like a handlebar stem (wedge) or does that collar tighten it? That would make it early 60's and before if it's the style with the wedge.
Anyway, it's in good shape and a decent bike. It looks like the rims were changed out, if it was a rental at Put-in-Bay, probably. They probably used heavy duty rims as replacement wheels, it looks like a red band Bendix coaster so it wasn't a recent change.
I remember riding the crap out of the tandem rentals at Kelley's Island as a kid.

I am pretty sure the collar tightens it, but won't know until I have the bike back later on. Anyone else have any idea??

AMFbrody said:
Bump...still ned to ID this bike.

I know its an old thread, but I believe what you have there is an AMF Lancer from early 60s to 65. hope this helps. it is in good shape, looks like is missing the light tank that originally came on it.. but nice none the less.

Back