Any air-cooled vw owners out there?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Air cooled vw's are often the choice of rat rodders, with their infinite customizeability. I have a ratted-out death-racer 1963 beetle with a 1200cc engine and no muffler 8) . Pics coming soon. What do you have? What are the specs?

I've owned numerous VW's over the years, beetles, rabbits, golfs, Jettas, a pickup, and a bay window bus. Also had a few Corvairs.

...here's a Bradley GT project I'm doin w/ a buddy...power is a 1600 dual port, '72 beetle pan...
bradleygt057.jpg

bradleygt046.jpg

link to the build so far:
http://s149.photobucket.com/albums/s44/ ... dley%20GT/

From about 20 years ago....

my 2nd owner 67
67bug2.jpg

I owned that one for 15 years, did all the work myself except stitching the upholstery, it had several motors in it, everything from a stock 1500, to a stock 1600, then a 1641 with dual ICT Webers, and eventually I built up a 2332 with 48 Webers... yes it was extremely fast!
Had to sell it to get a family car when my first son was born. I miss it, but its all good. I often wonder what happened to it.

67 type 3 I chopped the top on...
t3.jpg

Bought this from the local VW dealership for $50 it didnt have an engine, but I found a decent one for $50, installed it and I had a cheap driver. I ended up chopping the top as you can see, I went as far as getting the (4th) windshield fitted by the local glass shop, after breaking the first three windshields! lol I ended up trading it off... I also wonder what happened to this one.

Fast forward to the current time...

I have a 64 Type 1 baja that Im working on, bought it as a rolling shell and slowly bringing it back to life, wont be anything special when Im done, just a cheap daily driver to save on gas. no pics just yet.

...and another air-cooler in the background I see? not a vw but corvairs are kool...seen a few corvair-powered vw's around here...notably a bus w/ the powerglide transaxle too

That Corvair in the background belonged to my neighbor Ron, he was into dirt track cars, and motorcycles... he had a nice 55 Chevy that I painted for him, and a 32 coupe original steel that he was undoing the previous owners mess ups. Im pretty sure he had a Norton commando too. I learned a lot from him. When I was a bit younger I used to chop up bicycles and take them next door to weld them back together in all sorts of different configurations, mostly chopper bicycles, and I also built a mono-shock bicycle.

beetle2.jpg

beetle1.jpg

My 65. 57 W decklid, 60 tail lights, various other non vw parts. using a Schwinn Glitter grip for the parking brake handle and a skateboard wheel roller throttle pedal. Has a 1600 s/p in it now. working on building a larger motor and taller gears in tranny.

yep! they are reproducing the W decklid now. you can get it in vert style with vents too. Too pricey for me. I actually had bought this decklid long before i knew what it was. I got it with a set of bumpers and other misc. only paid $40 for the haul!

looks good man. I think you should build another one. 8)

ndaway said:
t31.jpg
t36.jpg
The 69 gia was my dads and the slime green 70 bug was mine about 20 years ago. My dad ran a body shop so he built the gia and i built the bug it was one of the first cars i ever painted. I think im 17 in that picture :lol: :lol:

We probably know each other since we were both into the early VW scene in Wichita. Me and a buddy started the local VW club.

Ratfink1962 said:
We probably know each other since we were both into the early VW scene in Wichita. Me and a buddy started the local VW club.
I remember a vw club that would meet up at a shop on Harry and they would cruise around and I went with them a few times. I had that bug from 86 till about 90..chemotherapy took away some of my memories :(

Back