Another new guy from California

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whats up people!? My name is Carl and im from Santa Rosa. Im into vw's and just recently bought an old bike at a vw show in Sacramento. I bought it because i wanted something to cruise around the swapmeet with. Well, me and a couple other people in our vw club built some bikes and now everyone is :lol: . here is mine. I have no idea what it is and any help is much appreciated.

IMG00167.jpg

IMG00166.jpg

Welcome to Ratdom.... Nice bug. Great bike to cruise around on. Looks like a Murray sprocket. Are the rear dropouts rear facing(pre-war)?

thanks! its a 1961. i built the car and gave it to my sister for her 14th birthday present.

also, i came across another old schwinn. a friend of mine found it in a dumpster behind a bikeshop, he waited all week to see if it would disappear, and the night before garbage day he grabbed it. its a green with white girls bike. it needs handlebars wheels crank, etc. it will be my sisters bike. she wants to keep it in the original paint and fat whitewalls. :D

Howdy & welcome !

Don't worry , Just be happy .... YIPPY !

Wingman / Stephen

Hey,
Are those mags 2 pice magnesium or 1 pice alloy ???
in addition , did a 61 would have had larger tail lite lenses .... did you install the 58 lenses instead ????

I got all kinda early VW stuff lol .
NO ... its not 4 sale.
Might, "MIGHT "consider trading 4 early bike stuff

Cool car !!

Wingman / Stephen

Wingman said:
Hey,
Are those mags 2 pice magnesium or 1 pice alloy ???
in addition , did a 61 would have had larger tail lite lenses .... did you install the 58 lenses instead ????

I got all kinda early VW stuff lol .
NO ... its not 4 sale.
Might, "MIGHT "consider trading 4 early bike stuff

Cool car !!

Wingman / Stephen

they are 1 piece repop crap wheels. if i had true empi 2 piece mags, they would be worth more than the car.

"Snowflakes" came on vws from I believe 1956 all the way to 1961. in 1962 they got bigger and got plastic lenses. then they got bigger in 68 then they got HUGE in 1973.

Back