AN old 26" Schwinn rebuild

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Purchased this bike for bout $25 for the frame , it had a metal tag welded onto the middle, with the # 82 anyhow researched this bike turns out it was a rental bike used back in the 1950's-1960's at a local centrally located park here in downtown San Antonio. There is also a local Resturaunt chain that carries old pics from that era on their menus of San Antonio history and they actually have pics of people at the park with these rental bikes.I replaced the welded tag which i will take pics later of with a welded spiderweb gusset, and so my new project begins:

My Circa 1950's-60 Schwinn Rebuild, just got the boy painted and awating more parts, post more pics as soon as i get more progress.
088-2.jpg

089-1.jpg

P.s. also unlike the new schwinn cruisers which use a spear shaped decal on the sides of the forks, this one actually had minature reflectors in the same original design , post some pics later of that too. :D

Re: 1950's-1960's 26" Schwinn rebuild

Hate to be a "buzz kill" there dude, but you have a "newer" Schwinn Cruiser.That ones either Chinese or a Taiwannabe, definitely not Chicago steel there! :wink: Later & PEACE!!!!!

Slick Rick said:
Hate to be a "buzz kill" there dude, but you have a "newer" Schwinn Cruiser.That ones either Chinese or a Taiwannabe, definitely not Chicago steel there! :wink: Later & PEACE!!!!!
then give me your opinon on why you think it is a newer frame?

aka_locojoe said:
The gusset is nice. Did you make it?
the gussests are made from a metalshop outta detroit, i bought a few of them from them when they came down to texas as vendors for a hotrod show, and replaced the metal tag that was originally put their when this bike used to be a rental back in the late 50's-60's. like i said i will post the pic of the metal tag later, who knows when and where this bike was acutally a rental from, maybe our town, maybe not, picked up the frame alone from a guy that had alot of old bikes here, but he did not confirm the story of it being a rental , a local resturaunt has pics of these bikes on their menus from back in the 50's so whos to say it is really one of them? either way i feel like ive picked up a piece of my towns history and intend to keep it that way, i assure you the bike did not look this way way before it was painted and welded with the new gusset, should have taken pics but did not have a camera at the time, anyhow, like i said i still got the tag, with the number 82 that was welded to the frame prior to the pics above.

[/quote] the gusses are made from a metalshop outta detroit, i bought a few of them from them when they came down to texas as vendors for a hotrod show, [/quote]

probly http://www.speedcult.com. i have a BUNCH of their iron works. really cool people too.

yea thats them, lots of kewl metal fab

Its a newer frame because the tab where the chain guard mounts is on the upper tube instead of the lower tube like on the chicago schwinns. Thats one way of knowing a newer one from a older one. g/l Tony

It also looks like welded joints instead of forgings/castings?-whatever used on classic Schwinn. :| Still perfectly ridable. :wink:

Not an opinion, actual factual.The first two responses were spot on,the head badge being riveted was a late eighties early nineties thing. Serial # location and configuration are another give away.Yours is probably under the bottom bracket and won't be found on any Schwinn chart.Schwinn ended that location in 52 and its real obvious this is not a Chicago frame.Hope I'm not teeing you off dude, not my intention, just tying to help you identify what you have.Heck I have one from Hungary! Took me a while to nail that one down! I'll bet it came w/tubular forks as well.Most Chicago frames came w/solid, windblade type forks, you just keep on keeping on! Its looking good so far! :wink: Later & PEACE!!!!!

maddogrider said:
Cool color choice what paint did ya use? Nice start man 8)
a rich red automotive paint

thanks for your feed back and determenation, on the facts like i said, who knows, where it came from, the welded tag, could of been placed there later, cuz the rental of these bikes continued way on to the late 70's and ended in the early 80's, until they finally closed down that rental bike shop.
Slick Rick said:
Not an opinion, actual factual.The first two responses were spot on,the head badge being riveted was a late eighties early nineties thing. Serial # location and configuration are another give away.Yours is probably under the bottom bracket and won't be found on any Schwinn chart.Schwinn ended that location in 52 and its real obvious this is not a Chicago frame.Hope I'm not teeing you off dude, not my intention, just tying to help you identify what you have.Heck I have one from Hungary! Took me a while to nail that one down! I'll bet it came w/tubular forks as well.Most Chicago frames came w/solid, windblade type forks, you just keep on keeping on! Its looking good so far! :wink: Later & PEACE!!!!!

well at least my schwinn was there when the rental of these great bikes was around, even it wasnt from the 50's -60's era, it was still a part of our cities history, so tahnks for all the input on this!!! :D

P.s gonna change the title of the first headline

umm yelling? just a lil debate, nuttin more, and i stood corrected, no harm, no foul here :D
Markm said:
why all the yelling??? :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

i was thinkin the same thing, but some members like typing like that, its there own personal style i guess.

Having a piece of local history is a good thing! Helps to make one feel connected and grounded! :mrgreen: Later & PEACE!!!!

Back