AMF Roadmaster with Huge dropouts

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Everybody,
Saw this bike the other day and was amazed at the huge dropouts on it (?!)
Never quite saw anything like it before. Has anyone else?
It's a coppertone 70's (maybe) AMF Roadmaster
IMG_5499II.jpg

IMG_5501II.jpg

Wonder if you could get a 29er on it? It has 26 x 1/38" now.

Funny thing is that they had 2 of them (sorry for the blurry pic)
IMG_5500II.jpg

Remember that Dragnusa had picked up a pair of identical Hawthornes
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=53872&p=513715#p513715
Ended up being presents for twins. Wonder if this was something similar?

Really like this shop: Sunrise Cyclery. Seem to have the best used parts prices in town
Picked up my Eliminator shifter, Spaceliner's swapped-out chrome 10pd fork, and much more
IMG_5502II.jpg

They sponsor rides and have bike repair classes for a woman's group 8)

Thanks for looking
Steve

About 12 years ago, I had a step thru frame (girl's bike) badged as a Western Flyer with the same huge, designer was on a 70's acid trip, can hide a family behind rear dropouts... just like yours! Mine was blue with two tone white painted inside the dropouts. Had a 70's factory Huffy chainring with a add on built in chainguard that went between the cranks and chainring. I thought these things were Huffy built (as per the 70's "pedel" chainring and Western Flyer badging). Just wish I woulda kept it instead of foolishly hauling it off years ago. :roll:

Very cool bike you have and love the colors. I think I saw a bike posted in the thread I started "Dude rides like a lady", last week, with the same rear dropouts. It was a step thru frame bike with apes and I think was owned by michael or a michaelaglo. Interesting dropouts.

I found a green one of those last year.

roadmaster1.jpg

I have the step through frame. Removed the skinny fenders and wheels and installed mtn bike wheels with cruiser tires. The frame was fairly light compared to most cruisers and the brake levers are made into the handlebar grips. Pretty cool.
vixenandfrankie003.jpg

Hey Thanks for the responses and personal ride pics everybody! Cool to see how other people built them up. Especially like your clean one speed, Kingfish.

Haven't pulled the trigger and bought either one yet. Feel kinda bad to just buy one and break up the pair. Then probably would tear it down to the frame and fork only (like usual) but they are in such nice shape. One was priced at $125 and the other at $100. Don't think I can justify the money, space, or tear down of perfectly good, complete bikes right now.

Appreciate your input on the background info. I really like them though.
Keep thinking how gold Deep Vs might look on them..

I have that bike, its a AMf Texas Ranger. I love it, a great cruiser. Mines going to have a change of wheels and tires soon, I will be loosing the fenders.

Here's mine

IMG_3734.jpg

MplsCoaster said:
Hey Thanks for the responses and personal ride pics everybody! Cool to see how other people built them up. Especially like your clean one speed, Kingfish.

Haven't pulled the trigger and bought either one yet. Feel kinda bad to just buy one and break up the pair. Then probably would tear it down to the frame and fork only (like usual) but they are in such nice shape. One was priced at $125 and the other at $100. Don't think I can justify the money, space, or tear down of perfectly good, complete bikes right now.

Appreciate your input on the background info. I really like them though.
Keep thinking how gold Deep Vs might look on them..

I didn't do anything at all to the one I have yet. That photo is straight from the back of my car after I paid a measely $15 for it. The rear hub is a bit gunked up or something inside though. It was still a great deal.

One of these came in for repairs at the shop I work at. Its a cool bike.

Kingfish, if those bikes were anywhere near $15, I'd snap them up. Nice find for a great price.
Ray Allen, thanks for posting yours. It's a good looking bike too.
Gives me a better idea of what a gold one would look like with a 1 spd
Dragnusa, I didn't check the serial numbers but that's a good idea.
I agree with everybody that they are cool bikes and I think at least a little out of the ordinary.

Thanks for looking
Steve

Here's mine...
amfcourier.jpg

They are good cruisers but I just busted the rim from hitting a pot hole about a week ago.
So they're not the strongest bikes even though the dropouts are intimidating.

It seems like the huge droputs would be a cool canvas for some unique pinstriping or graphics!!!!

Back