American restorations

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
I'm having trouble understanding how he comes up with the quotes for work to be done. I understand he has overhead and all, but it seems overblown. He quoted $3200 to restore an italian folding bike. From what I could see, it got blasted, powdercoated, cheap aftermarket seat, new tires, and decals. Nothing looked rechromed, just cleaned very well. I can get a frame/fork combo coated in one color after it has been blasted for well under $100, $125 if I let them blast. Especially on a small frame like that. $15 seat, some time spent cleaning, $35 worth of tires, $40 tops in the decals, $10 new chain, $20 on all new bearings. Even with the overhead I can't see charging more than $1000 for the resto. And that's making serious money! Is there something I am missing? Maybe the true resto guys can chime in here and let me knkow what's up. All of his jobs seem that way. $3500 to resto the small signal cannon. I see: $200 to blast and coat. $100 to fab a firing cap, $200 cleaning the old solid tires and extras like the lanyard, nuts and bolts etc. Still can't see going over $1000, maybe $1500 if I'm feelin poor and greedy. What is goin on?!

I don't like that show. I think Rick is a crook just for that reason :| His work is not quality either. I seen one of his shows where he restored a tandem, again about $3500 :roll: If that isn't bad enough, he even put the back fender on BACKWARDS :shock: How can you not tell there is a whole there...he ended up drilling a new one on the correct side :roll: :?

You gotta love the loser son!!!!!
I don't think the apple falls too far from the tree.

Rat Rod said:
It's all fake...just say that to yourself any time you watch a "reality" TV show and your life will be easier. :lol:

You mean to say there really isn't a Snooki Claus!!!!!!

It's kind of like when you were a kid in the 70s and you thought Gene Simmons, Ace Frehley, Paul Stanley and Peter Criss all walked around in full make up and costume everywhere they went.

It's just a big show for the sake of entertainment. :wink:

Rat Rod said:
It's kind of like when you were a kid in the 70s and you thought Gene Simmons, Ace Frehley, Paul Stanley and Peter Criss all walked around in full make up and costume everywhere they went.

Yeah, but at least The Nature Boy was real, WOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Ric-Flair-12.jpg

I still miss Eddie. I loved watching his antics. Like smacking someone with a chair then laughing behind the ref's back. Ah the good old days.
eddie-guerrero.png

kingfish254 said:
Rat Rod said:

Yeah, but at least The Nature Boy was real, WOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Ric-Flair-12.jpg
Rick Flair ruled! :mrgreen:

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

I understand that it's fake. I just don't see the point in overblowing the price. That doesn't help the entertainment value. The actual items and the before/after, as well as the employee interactions is where I would see the bulk of the viewers tuning in. I can't imagine many people tuning in just to see honest people get reamed over a tricycle or an old radio. And the nature boy isn't too intense in person. About 22 yrs ago I met him at Charlotte airport. He actually couldn't figure out why his steel toe shoes set off the metal detector. Then about 12 yrs ago my father and I did some work at his house. Actually pretty laid back guy. Living in NC I used to see wrestlers a lot. I like Jake the Snake. He used to be at the theatre in Lake Norman all the time. Very approachable and well-mannered. I just wish I could have met Andre before he passed.

ozzmonaut said:
I understand that it's fake. I just don't see the point in overblowing the price. That doesn't help the entertainment value. The actual items and the before/after, as well as the employee interactions is where I would see the bulk of the viewers tuning in. I can't imagine many people tuning in just to see honest people get reamed over a tricycle or an old radio. And the nature boy isn't too intense in person. About 22 yrs ago I met him at Charlotte airport. He actually couldn't figure out why his steel toe shoes set off the metal detector. Then about 12 yrs ago my father and I did some work at his house. Actually pretty laid back guy. Living in NC I used to see wrestlers a lot. I like Jake the Snake. He used to be at the theatre in Lake Norman all the time. Very approachable and well-mannered. I just wish I could have met Andre before he passed.

There are lots of wrestlers I wish were still around. Andre the giant, Eddie Guerero, and Chris Benoit just to name a few. I still can't believe the way Chris Benoit ended everything, I knew the guy since he was the Michigan crippler and never thought he could do something like that. It's a crazy world ain't it?

Another point is that if you own a business, I imagine it is not hard to convince people that you're a ripoff. If he is ballooning the costs for the camera, then he isn't doing himself any favors. His business is very real, even though much of the show is fake. It is a physical address that you can walk into and have "resto" work done. However I can't imagine going there for a restoration. And people on that show act surprised at the high costs sometimes. As though they have never seen the show. It would be like watching American Pickers all of the time and having them knock on your door one day. Anything they offer you is 1/4 of what they will sell it for if not less. Why sell them anything? Just put it for sale on the internet and the same guy they are going to sell it to will buy it from you. I know, I know, fake too. But the same point applies. Why go around advertising that you will pay 10% of what something is worth.

outskirtscustoms said:
ozzmonaut said:

There are lots of wrestlers I wish were still around. Andre the giant, Eddie Guerero, and Chris Benoit just to name a few. I still can't believe the way Chris Benoit ended everything, I knew the guy since he was the Michigan crippler and never thought he could do something like that. It's a crazy world ain't it?
He stepped up and did what he felt had to be done. I'd imagine it takes immense cajones to take a step that you know will be your last. And he obviously wanted to escape something. I've always said that our mind is our master. If things feel or appear that bad, then they are that bad, simply because we accept that they are.

Bringing this back because of an episode of American Restorations I just saw. They were commisioned to restore a Vietnam fliers helmet. The helmet was used by several different soldiers and ended in the hands of one such soldier. They redid the helmet in original color and replicated all stickers and lettering placed by all soldiers that used it. The kicker: It will be presented to the final owner, who likely knew many of the soldiers that previously added their personal touches. I think the final resto ended at around the $1800 range, but why trade original patina and hand lettering placed by people you knew and trusted, and even shared a brotherhood with, for freshly applied simulations and brand new replicated stickers or decals?

I like watchin the Show just to see the Cool stuff that people bring buy to restore , Its just "TV" , i think folks just want to get there prized possession's
and there selves on TV .

why trade original patina and hand lettering placed by people you knew and trusted, and even shared a brotherhood with, for freshly applied simulations and brand new replicated stickers or decals?
o_OSeriously.

You know, it Could Be that the price that people ACTUALLY pay for the resto is just as fake as the rest of the show! After all, the real money is from the show, he may even pay people to bring interesting stuff to him to feature. signed: mr. kr - surprised at nothing these days.....

Don't get mixed up by fake vs scripted. Like wrestling, it's real enough, but it is also definitely scripted too. People will charge what the market will bear, but I doubt the numbers quoted are real. I used to hate reality TV, and for the most part think it's ignorant, but there is some small entertainment value, and if the stupidity isn't off the chart I can actually watch some of it.

Carl.

I had considered that long ago when I started this thread. But overblowing prices on tv doesn't seem like it would bring in customers. I have to assume the prices are fake though, because I JUST watched him charge a guy $4000 to derust and partially patina a reproduction suit of armor. For $4000 you could likely buy an authentic suit of armor in decent condition. I'm no expert on medieval antiques, but I've seen legit armor at antique bizarres for in that range. And it looked as good as what he turned out.

Back