American Restoration

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd rather restore a bicycle myself, it's not that difficult. To me there is a huge sense of pride saying "I built that".

Gold Street Customs said:
I just wish I could charge those VEGA$ prices with a clear conscious restoring a bike :shock:
x2

[/quote]
outskirtscustoms said:
As far as my estimate of $250, that does not include chrome. That is merely tear down, cleaning, any chrome would get an OA bath and bring back what is originally there, original paint cleaned, and polish it up as best I can. In other words restoring what is there. "Aged Restoration" If it needed chrome work done, paint and make it look as it did on day one out of the factory then it depends on how bad the bike is and the price goes up more than most are willing to pay.

If you saw my blue 1968 Schwinn Hollywood that is what I'd do for $250 and it looks good.
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=48412

Nice price. Wish you were in Denver, I'd have some biz for you. Your Schwinn turned out great :)

I have noticed they use adjustable wrenches and pliers instead of proper size wrenches and sockets.Amateur hour.I did see the restored bike that did not have the brake strap attached.lolgood luck stopping that restoration.The Jap bike still had a dent in the pedal and the seat they chaeged the customer to rebuild could EASILY be found on ebay . Thats television.I am leary about restorations.Many people claim they restored their bike but "restoration " is bringing an object back to original new condition.most just make their bikes refurbished.

I hear that, I saw a "Restored" 1946 Monark on C-list.
http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/bik/2714654982.html

Just what I spotted:
Let's not even mention that color and decals are FAR from original
Wrong pedals
Rust on the springer and bolts
Rust on the rims
Rust on the kickstand
Can chrome on the sprocket

Looks cool but I'd be embarrassed if that was my version of "Restored" and for $600 NOT FROM ME! Especially "Tank not included"

vincev said:
The Jap bike still had a dent in the pedal

Ive seen a couple of responses that say the same thing about the pedals on that bike, I think I caught a glimpse of them on that episode and I thought they looked like this....

pedal.jpg

not defending them or their methods. becasue I do believe these guys do some pretty shoddy work.

There is a word of difference in rebuilding, refurbing or truely restoring and often the 'restoration' gets the one of the first two rather than the real thing. Ive seen it in vintage motorcycles, guns, and classic wooden boats too.
Just watch 'Antiques Road Show' to see what something 'reworked' is estimated at compared to original.
IMHO, taking a previously neglected and/or modified bike and doing what we want to it is fine. I wont feel bad about making my WF Cosmic Flyer 'rat' what I want, but my Raleigh Sports Roadster is soooo close to being original that I would rather leave it as is, mechanically prepped to ride and original, but clean, polished and waxed.

I am always leary of a "restored" item.Most people do not understand there is a difference between restored and refurbished.Many bikes I see are just made road worthy after they claim to be restored.What makes this a great site is that you can do what you like with a bike and not feel guilty.I do see some of the same people here that are on the cabe and schwinnforums.com. so it shows there is more than owning a "perfect bike" to this hobby.

I'm of the firm opinion that it is only original once. Besides I like an old bike to look old. If it looks showroom fresh it just doesn't have the same flavor. It's like taking steel wool to an old Colt 45. It takes away the patina and value. To me there is value in the patina. :wink:

Lybtech said:
outskirtscustoms said:
As far as my estimate of $250, that does not include chrome. That is merely tear down, cleaning, any chrome would get an OA bath and bring back what is originally there, original paint cleaned, and polish it up as best I can. In other words restoring what is there. "Aged Restoration" If it needed chrome work done, paint and make it look as it did on day one out of the factory then it depends on how bad the bike is and the price goes up more than most are willing to pay.

If you saw my blue 1968 Schwinn Hollywood that is what I'd do for $250 and it looks good.
http://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/viewto ... 16&t=48412

Nice price. Wish you were in Denver, I'd have some biz for you. Your Schwinn turned out great :)

Lyb... need something cleaned up?

I'm in denver...

I've never watched this show but that really surprised me. They seem to forget the #1 crucial part of a high dollar restoration, attention to detail. They made new pedal blocks from the originals, and hand carved the emblem and I was really impressed. But then when they reassembled it they replaced all the rivets with brass screws, didn't locate or fabricate the missing chain guard part that covers the sprocket, and they put that cheesy seat on there. That just kills it.

SSG said:
I've never watched this show but that really surprised me. They seem to forget the #1 crucial part of a high dollar restoration, attention to detail. They made new pedal blocks from the originals, and hand carved the emblem and I was really impressed. But then when they reassembled it they replaced all the rivets with brass screws, didn't locate or fabricate the missing chain guard part that covers the sprocket, and they put that cheesy seat on there. That just kills it.

It also looks like they put one of the cotter pins in backwards on the crank so they are offset and not aligned

I'm discouraged to hear the restorations are done poorly - they seem like nice guys. The only bicycle project I can recall was an ice cream delivery bicycle restoration that was done in a lot of low value replacement parts instead of the original Schwinn gear. I would have expected all the original Schwinn gear for the restoration price they were asking.

That said, I'm sure you've all heard the expression "Jack of all trades, master of nothing." I'm guessing this is what's happening here.. these guys do so many different products that they likely don't have the time to become experts at bicycle restoration (or have the eye for detail that a collector might have..). They also work under a strict timeline, and that can make it difficult to use authentic replacement parts. When I'm hunting for correct bicycle parts, it can take me months or years to find everything... and that involves trolling eBay, swap meets, and forums. Rick has to make a profit, and that involves completing projects in a quick time frame. He can't have something sitting in his shop for 12 months.

My opinion is if you brought him all the original parts and gave him really explicit instruction on what you wanted from the restoration, you could get a pretty amazing end result. If you''re just some guy showing up with an obscure bicycle missing half the original parts and you want it done in three weeks, you're gonna get a shoddy result. :D I'll still give them the benefit of the doubt, and if I had the money, I'd let them restore something for me.

People please it is entertainment it is fake. I saw one show where a young couple bought a restored Taylor Tot for $1200
Give me a break I would guess they got paid $1200 dollars to do the show. Why do people fall for this stuff. All these shows are staged.
TT_zpsddeecf45.jpg

I saw one of those go at a local auction for $35. I know it's a show but they could at least try to make realistic price quotes.

Tell me it wouldn't be funny if they showed someone the finished piece and the client said "ummmmm no"

Murray-Eliminator said:
Anyone one that believes that these reality shows are real, need a reality check!..lol
AMEN What scares me is there is a lot of them out there in need! :shock:

Latest posts

Back