american picker bike question

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
a few episodes ago an old guy had a huge bike collection with crazy prices, he had a custom fully enclosed body over the frame. anyone know what that was or has a link to a picture. thanks

Yeah, that would be Chestnut Hollow up here in Michigan. They seem to have at least one of every "holy grail" bicycle; including at least two Bowden Spacelanders which were made with aircraft aluminum I believe.

http://youtu.be/RqNu9q3SD0w

1960 Bowden Spacelander
bowden_spacelander_542.jpg

bowden_1.jpg

The Bowden Spacelander is a sub-10lb composite wonder bike, with a full-fiberglass chassis. The only metal is in the fork and steering tube.

Ben Bowden
BowdenSpacelander.jpg

ZygoteLittle said:
1960 Bowden Spacelander

The Bowden Spacelander is a sub-10lb composite wonder bike, with a full-fiberglass chassis. The only metal is in the fork and steering tube.

The Spacelander weighed a lot more than ten pounds! :D That`s misquoted it`s...

"The Bowden is the ancestor of sub-10lb composite wonderbikes, with a full-fiberglass chassis."

MERK said:
ZygoteLittle said:
1960 Bowden Spacelander

The Spacelander weighed a lot more than ten pounds! :D That`s misquoted it`s...

"The Bowden is the ancestor of sub-10lb composite wonderbikes, with a full-fiberglass chassis."
:oops: I stand corrected; it was edited for clarity, her weight was 50 pounds.

It is nonetheless, one of the rarest and most innovative designs in cycling history – brilliant really. :)

Bowden2.jpg

I read bits and pieces on the 'net about some sort of recent 'find' of these bikes, or bike parts, for the Spacelander. Does anyone have any info?

Stop by to Bicycleheaven in Pittsburgh,,the new Bike Museum with 13 Bowden Bikes the Largest Collection of the Bowden Bikes in the World ,,,ONLY 38 or so to be found in the USA out of 500 made or so,,belive me i worked on all 13 of them and they are not light bikes,,,we have over 160 Krate Bikes and Bikes from 1870s and to the 80s and some Rat Rods,,chek it out,,,412 716 4956 ,,or look up Craig Morrow Bicycle Heaven Bike Museum on the Web,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,HELP PLEASE,,,I NEED A SEAT FOR ONE OF THE BOWDEN BIKES,,THEY ARE A SEAT MADE BY MERTENS,,WHITE SEAT WITH CRASH RAIL AND TAG ON THE BACK,,SAYS MERTENS

Latest posts

Back