Aluminum Winter: Full Tilt Sunset

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Aluminum Winter: Done! plus snow pics

Looks like fun. I may have to get the Trek out there with the mud tires on it if and when we get snow. :D

Love the bike also.

Snow pictures are awesome. It was a balmy 82 degrees here in Orlando today.

Looks great Steve! But I, unlike you are hold up in the house until some of this mess is cleaned up...One to seven inches my foot! I measured thirteen inches on my deck. I shoveled three times yesterday and you can't even tell. Oh the woes of a California transplant. :lol:

I like the look of those FSA Metropolis handlebars. They nicely compliment the design of the frame. I have some generic bars of that style on a singlespeed commuter style bike and love them, super comfy.

Under 25 lbs is really nice for a cruiser. Your gear ratio seems spot on for trudging through the snow. If your chain length is just right and you have long enough drop-outs, you might be able to swap in a 16 or 17 tooth cog when the nice weather returns in a few months.

MplsCoaster said:
IMG_8369II.jpg

This. is. so. cool. Got me thinking of an awesome mountain bike.

Looks awesome, Steve! :D Now I want a snow bike :mrgreen:

Steve: Bike looks awesome, pics are great! Please keep that snow up there, I don't want it down here!!! :lol: :lol: :mrgreen:

Re: Aluminum Winter: Thanks, few more pics

WOW! Thanks a lot guys! I appreciate all the great comments :D
The bike is so fun! Didn't ride tonight at 2F though :shock:

Thanks Tin Machine! I'm glad you like the frame now too
Glad you like the snow pictures Peatbog.
We've we were down ~11" on snow this year and made it up in one day :lol:

Thanks Skipton, My fellow deep snow rider :D
Glad you like the bike Hounddog. I have to think about the BoaGs a bit more
I like the look but they don't roll quite as good a slick

Thanks Wheelbender6. I think I prefer ~30F and deep snow near Christmas :lol:
Randy, I should get a shot for cards (If I actually sent them out :lol: )
I might have to deck it out like your bike, my wife already has some ideas (see what you've done? :lol: )
I'll get some Christmas light shots and post them

It WAS fun OWS! You should totally do i. Got some pics below of the good snow tires I use
Thanks Cledry. I hope you enjoy your balmyness. I'm fine up here :lol:

No riding Fat Willy? Thanks for the snow depth update of 13".
You from CA? What are you doing up here? :lol:
Maybe we'll have to set up a snow ride to get you acclimated

I like the FSA bars too Undecider. Glad you think they match
I'm lucky enough to have a custom Cannondale stem that was shortened and welded from a super welder
http://www.metalsjoininglab.com/
Rodger and his step son are great guys and fantastic welders and always interested in a challenge
Had to add a few chain links but no problem, will definitely set it up different this summer

Thanks Stoked. Go Cat Go! (and post pics)
Thanks Nick, you should build one for yourself! Tires are one of the big factors (see below)
Thanks Pick. I appreciate it! I hope we do keep it, it's big time drought relief
And I can bike so much faster than the Xcountry skiers :lol:

Now I have 2 shiny Bikes!
IMG_8372II.jpg

Here is a bad picture of some good snow tires (all are directional, rotating upward ^)
On the left is the rear specific Bontrager Big Kahuna, notice the paddle wheel style (that works great!)
The middle is the front specific Bontrager Big Kahuna (I have two sets :lol: ) great open tread to shed snow
On the right is a Ritchey MotoVader (2.3") and is another rear specific paddle wheel style (and light)
The Bontragers are both 2.1" and reasonable light and priced well , Need only about 20 psi to run them
IMG_8374II.jpg

And one more shot from last night (I have to be more original next time :lol: )
IMG_8365.jpg

Thanks for looking
Steve

Re: Aluminum Winter: 6 mile Xmas ride pics

It warmed up to 41F today and made a big mess, so I took it out to see how it handles
I hit every type of junk, chunky ice covered by deep snow, ice under water, packed snow...
This bike is awesome! It handled everything with ease. I've never had a bike like this before :D

My MTB is about 12 lbs heavier and when the front wheel gets moved by a rut, it kinda freaky
This bike still gets moved around but it so light, it takes little effort to correct it
Or just ride it out and let it do it's thing, knowing that you can control it easily

Had to get some Christmas pictures along the way :D
IMG_8379II.jpg

Lots of people had great displays
IMG_8380II.jpg

Don't go into the lights :lol:
IMG_8385II.jpg

This one was kinda extreme!
IMG_8386.jpg

Then decided I better get an actual ride in so headed to River Road
Saw a potential picture so set it up and didn't see anybody around while I sat on the path
Moved and blurred it when I got surprised by a runner :lol:
IMG_8389.jpg

I love Minnesotans! This young woman was on a run and thought I might be hurt or something :oops:
I said I was taking a picture of my winter bike I just got together
She said "That's a good reason to celebrate, do you want me to take your picture?"
SURE I said and she took one, she said it didn't work and took the time to take another :shock:
What a nice person!! I thanked her and wished her a good run and she thanked me back :D :D
IMG_8391II.jpg

So it really is a merry Christmas season!
IMG_8387II.jpg

Thanks for looking
Steve

Re: Aluminum Winter: 6 mile Xmas ride pics

callem Shinny bikes..

i call'em 'Chromies' :lol:

Re: Aluminum Winter: 8 Miler finally

Thanks Skipton! It is nice to have snow now
Hey Iven, glad you think they both look like chrome
But the aluminum bike isn't quite polished as shiny but close enough

Finally got my standard 8 mile ride in tonight , it was my goal from the beginning
Still warm at 36F but an 12 mph wind from the south
Had to stop for this great light display
IMG_8401.jpg

The side streets are icy and glue-like snow and some wet/icy pavement
The path is a little better, the bike commuters with their studded tires cleared a small path
IMG_8402.jpg

It's funny to ride and see the shine, think its water then wiggle a bit going through and realize it was ice :shock:
It happens enough without wiping out that you get some confidence and then its okay

Had to stop for this shot with Downtown Mpls in the background (sorry for the blurry shot)
IMG_8404.jpg

Then needed to just get done, except for one more in the white light :lol:
IMG_8408.jpg

Its kinda like a video game where you're always aiming/riding towards/in the easiest line
You get some momentum, then slog into a snow pile, slide around a bit then head for a better spot :lol:
The bike is really stable and I'm still surprised how different it is than the Red GoTo bike or the MTB

Guess I finally met my goal for a lightweight, single speed winter bike that I can ride my route :D
Thanks for looking
Steve

I love this bike! :shock: I don't know why, maybe it's that slick aluminum or the knobby tires, or maybe it's EVERYTHING! :mrgreen: Glad you're enjoying it :wink: I like seeing these riding shots at night 8)

Got me thinking I will be putting the chunky lug tires back on my Trek so I can take it for a spin this winter when I get the chance. :D

Re: Aluminum Winter: Trying to get the hang of it

Thanks a Lot Nick!! Glad you like it. I AM Enjoying it.

I like not having the experience muddied by searching for the optimum gear or making sure I have my hand in the right spot for the brake in case I have to brake quickly (like a MTB)

I think what makes it for me is that it’s a simple but interesting frame (no brakes, shifters, derailleurs…) but it has big knobby tires like a MTB (bigger than fits on most cruiser frames)

BTW, when I was taking the bridge shot, a guy rode by me with an old cantilever Schwinn, stripped down, and (more narrow) knobby tires mounted on. COOL

More night pics coming…

Thanks Bike2112! Just wanted to make sure you know that I live in Mpls proper, no ‘burbs for me :lol:
Have posted a couple of other tours of south Mpls if you’re interested (Most friendly bike city in the US) :D
viewtopic.php?f=68&t=60927
viewtopic.php?f=60&t=43403

Hey Kevin, Thanks for the plug on Winter Blues thread. I think you SHOULD put the chunky lug tires on and give it a shot. I think you guys need some snow yet but you may be getting some this week.

Well we got lots of rain after my last ride and so it’s all changed up again. The car tire ruts in the street are now mostly dry and wide. Almost thought I really didn’t need the easy gearing or chunky tires.

Tried to get more exercise and fewer pictures this time. Also trying to get the pictures less blurry but don’t want to carry a tripod, so be patient and I’ll eventually get it right
17Dec12003.jpg

I passed at least 6 commuters riding the other direction and they all had studded tires, ZZZ ZZZ
West River Road still has a rather narrow path but the right side of the path is now ice/snow packed (colder last night) So when meeting oncoming runners and riders, I need to jump up on it and ride it (more carefully).

East River Road (St. Paul side) is almost completely clear and rode for a couple miles no handed (as a change-up position) The city lights were lighting up the clouds and it made an amber glow
17Dec12007.jpg

So was heading back and feeling like the gearing was just too easy and had my legs spinning like crazy. Got 3 blocks from home and hit the North-South streets and ran into Glare Ice
17Dec12009.jpg

It was pretty crazy and slow, tried to ride the rough ridge in the center but kept slipping off of it.
Shoes really don’t have any grip either so putting your feet down doesn’t help very much.
It was a bit hair-raising but that’s all part of the challenge/fun (and I didn’t wipe out :lol: )

Thanks for looking
Steve

Re: Aluminum Winter:ColdSunshine/SnowyTrails

The news report called it Cold Sunshine, ~10F and no wind
Been waiting for this weather kinda weather since last fall
This weather is why I build this bike, so it would be fun and look great in blue skies

Rode to a trail by the Mississippi River,
Normally it peds only so the slushy snow foot prints are now iced up with a light layer of new snow
Took my first hill and it went pretty well, some times it might do a slow skid but not out of control
IMG_8429.jpg

The trail goes along the river and is one of my favorite spots
IMG_8433.jpg

The icy foot prints were bumpy and cause vibration in the bars without a suspension fork
Sitting back farther and the cushy grips made it not too bad
The river (in the background) is finally starting to ice up
IMG_8434.jpg

Took some shots down here last Christmas with Mag Ray before I gave it away (think it was 40F(?!))
This was the shot I was looking for, plus knowing I just rode that ridge made it even more fun :D
IMG_8438.jpg

Hands started getting cold so headed home, it goes no-handed really well so I can warm them in my pockets
Love the way the blue sky reflects the shiny aluminum :D
IMG_8426.jpg

So it works well in a few inches of chunky/snow ice and looking forward to more sunshine rides during Christmas break :D
IMG_8427III.jpg

Thanks for looking
Steve

Re: Aluminum Winter: ColdSunshine/SnowyTrails

Nice pics, Steve! :D The bike looks real slick in the sunshine! 8)

Re: Aluminum Winter:CloudlessSkies/FreezingRiver

Thanks Nick! Glad you like it :D
Looks like you got some snow and more to come
Get some knobby tires on a bike and start making patina :lol:

My Wife is working the holidays, keeping MN safe :D
So went for a ride yesterday. 16F with 10mph N wind (brrr)
Great to ride in the sunshine, its worth getting kinda cold
3pm and the sun was already low in the sky but no clouds :D

The path was clear and a few other people riding and running
IMG_8460.jpg

Went about 9 miles and stopped for more shots than I should to burn off the Christmas sweets
The river is finally freezing up and a little fluffy snow is now starting to cover the Mississippi
IMG_8464.jpg

I like pattern of the wind swept snow over the ice in this shot
IMG_8463II.jpg

Rode into the snow here but the hard stuff was crunching down and making it kinda hard
You can see the track of a Surly Pugsly making easy work of it with it's wide tire
IMG_8466II.jpg

Long shadows in the East bank, no handed riding kept my hands warm :lol:
IMG_8472II.jpg

Plan to try a ride a little later this afternoon (ate way too much last night with my family :lol: )
But it's 1F with -15F windchill this morning so hopefully the sun warms it up a more by then

Last one from Franklin Ave Bridge, The river is a little more broke up there
IMG_8468.jpg

Merry Christmas!
Thanks for looking
Steve

Re: Aluminum Winter:CloudlessSkies/FreezingRiver

Youve inspired me to get a bik ready for snow, figured I have that Trek Clyde with a beat up 7 spd (sorta like the whole bike) so I tossed my chunky tires on it since I cant figure anything else to do with it. A less involved copy of yours. Lol. Now if we'd just get some snow.

Back