Almost wrapped up until...

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Greetings. I've been working on a Redline Monocog and was having trouble getting a 650b rim& tire (larger than stock 26") to align correctly in the frame.
I was checking tire clearance and getting the wheel squared up to the frame and noticed that I really had to rack the wheel to get it centered at the top end.
The bottom end looked ok so I removed the wheel and pulled a string from the left drop around the head tube back to the right drop then measured at the seat post. All good.
I stepped back to see if anything else was wonk and saw this:
IMG_4599.jpg

Edit: this is looking forward from the rear drops towards the bottom bracket.

I checked the welds and nothing is cracked but there is clealy a problem.
The reveal (carpenter speak for gap) with the wheel installed is equal on both sides at the chain stay but wayyy left at the top of the seat stay.

I'm ready to strip it neked and measure/string everywhere but I could use your input.
Worst luck with this cool little bike.

Thanks Rats.

I stripped off everything but the headset and set the frame on my countertop (dead flat). Dropouts are aligned with BB shell paper flat.
I think it might be the dang chainstay bridge is welded on crooked but that doesn't explain the issue. I'll check the dropouts for alignment and check back.

IMG_4612.jpg
IMG_4615.jpg
IMG_4617.jpg

I have a boat and a truck and water in the lake [for now] so I have no excuses. Except dang bicycles.
I tow my canoe with my bike and the mighty st Lawrence River. In Canada we have a superhero called Mr canoehead
Mrcanoehead.jpg

Even with a couple obvious issues I was nervous to start bending things. I strung the dropouts again and measured everywhere I thought might show a problem. The left seat stay IS bent a little, 1-2mm compared to the right. I decided to check the dish of the wheel and woah... Almost 10 mm difference right side to left side.
IMG_4650.jpg

Watched a Cal video again and proceeded to move the rim to the right. Started slow, tightened the right spokes and loosened the left a quarter turn.
Got brave and went up to a full turn and now the rim is centered on the hub contact points.

IMG_4654.jpg

IMG_4655.jpg

I think I'm going to go with it.
Peace!

Back