Almost Winter time....IT'S HERE! SNOW 3-5

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Almost Winter time....

dougfisk said:
We'll go pick out a tree today. Clear sunny skies and about 70 degrees, :wink:

Skip, where do you get all the fenders you burn through on that rig?

LOL! :mrgreen:

Got lucky the fender on the rear right now is from this Monark I got cheap from XC204
Monark2010009.jpg

Think there girls JC Higgins fenders

Bolted them together add a little turquoise and I am good to go :wink: :wink:

Last fender was the same one I used for two winters. just keep making lots of repairs to it tell it finally cracked all the why at the seat stays :roll:

Old fender looking pretty tried in this pic
blackbike010-1.jpg

Thanks for looking!

haha. so I was thinking of this thread today. The snow I mentioned a few weeks ago never finished melting. We're just getting a little more snow right now but I don't think it will accumulate. Somehow I've still gotten 2 flats from thorns even with the snow on the ground. Ger.

Skipton, you've probably answered this question a thousand times by now, but what is the distance of your commute?

Work is exactly 5 miles away. But I prefer to ride down the lake Michigan bike path.

Which is a 8mile ride. and much nicer no traffic :D and a some great views. Can be a lot of fun if there is a strong North east wind at my back :wink:

If the wind is still strong and out of north after work. I will take the streets home to try and stay out of the wind.

So on most days my commute is between 12 and 16 miles.

Not to far but far enough to have fun and keep me from getting really fat :mrgreen: :roll:

Thanks

Skipton said:
Work is exactly 5 miles away. But I prefer to ride down the lake Michigan bike path.

Which is a 8mile ride. and much nicer no traffic :D and a some great views. Can be a lot of fun if there is a strong North east wind at my back :wink:

If the wind is still strong and out of north after work. I will take the streets home to try and stay out of the wind.

So on most days my commute is between 12 and 16 miles.

Not to far but far enough to have fun and keep me from getting really fat :mrgreen: :roll:

Awesome, thanks for sharing. The church is only .8 miles from my house, all uphill... both ways :wink: , I can ride any bike I have to church easily, road bike, fixed gear, mountain bike, antique bikes, tall bikes, sand bike, 20" BMX, etc... the only problem is I usually have to go somewhere else in town during the day, bicycle unfriendly places. I don't like leaving one of my cars in the church parking lot overnight so usually I drive, haha. I do ride whenever I can, but it usually means riding back home in a hurry to get a car to go somewhere, and that kind of wastes time during the work day.

I just love the look of the single rear fender brace... but after the fender started to crack, just to much load for the one brace, it was time to
put function ahead of form :roll: :wink:
Single brace
blackbike007-9.jpg

Double braces painted off white to blend in with the tire. I think it doesn't look half bad.

blackbike009-8.jpg

Took that ^ pic this morning before leaving for work,

Got to test out the new Double braces full of snow load coming home today.
blackbike012-7.jpg

blackbike010-8.jpg

Rear fender got packed full of slushy heavy snow coming home.
seems to have held up to the load no problem.
blackbike013-8.jpg

I will take better pics next time. :wink:

Thanks for looking!

Re: Almost Winter time....IT'S HERE! ~~ 1-13-11 ~~

7" of fresh snow on Friday snowing from 10 am till 8 pm.

Left work around 6:30 The plows couldn't get anything done because of rush hour traffic.

Good news was it was 24 degrees ... Three times warmer then Thursdays ride home at 6 degrees :shock: :roll:

Some spots better then others . rode on the sidewalk in places, just to stay out of everyone's way.

What it looked like when I got home.
blackbike012-8.jpg

Let it melt off in the basement
blackbike015-7.jpg

Washed the bike off this morning and put the snow tire on! :wink:
blackbike011-8.jpg

more pics with tire on to come!

I rode Wed. in 4 inches of snow. By the end of the day it was raining and SLUSH. What a wet ride home. I almost put the studded tires on but I got lazy,

Yeah I was lazy Friday morning also. Didn't have the studded tire on for the ride home Friday night would have made life easier :roll:

blackbike013.jpg

^^^^ Old pic of now well used studded tire. Made a new one Saturday rode great!

I'm jealous you guys got snow :mrgreen:
That's quite the studded tire there Skipton! Looks like a lot of work but worth it.
You guys are brave commuters!

We've only got about 1-2 inches on the ground. Been riding my Bontrager Connections without too much problem. Realize on my run the other day that I was riding on loose snow over ice. :shock:
No wipeouts yet. Also have been trying the Michelin Country Rocks (1.75") in the Red triangle Roadmaster. Got sets of snow tires, studs, and 26" cyclocross (X1.5) yet to try out.
Once we get some snow...

gcrank1 said:
Sure hope that inside pic doesnt mean somebody pinched your saddle!

blackbike026-1.jpg

No I took this pic back in February during the Blizzard...I took the train home that night, :roll: seatpost has a quickrelease on it so I locked it up with the cable next to the rear wheel.

Thanks!

This winter just can't make up it's mind!

Last night 45 degrees and Thunderstorms!

What the alley by my house looked like...slushy mesh.
2011blackbikeSchwinn011-1.jpg

2011blackbikeSchwinn009-1-1.jpg

2011blackbikeSchwinn001-1-1.jpg

2011blackbikeSchwinn006.jpg

MplsCoaster said:
I'm jealous you guys got snow :mrgreen:
That's quite the studded tire there Skipton! Looks like a lot of work but worth it.
You guys are brave commuters!

We've only got about 1-2 inches on the ground. Been riding my Bontrager Connections without too much problem. Realize on my run the other day that I was riding on loose snow over ice. :shock:
No wipeouts yet. Also have been trying the Michelin Country Rocks (1.75") in the Red triangle Roadmaster. Got sets of snow tires, studs, and 26" cyclocross (X1.5) yet to try out.
Once we get some snow...

Who would have thought that late in January we would have more snow then you.

Almost all melted after last nights hard rains. :roll:

Skipton said:

Same here. Snowing, raining and slush. At least it is snowing in the hills (skiing).

Re: Almost Winter time....IT'S HERE! thunderstorms 1-23

Hey Guys,
Skipton said:
Who would have thought that late in January we would have more snow then you.
Almost all melted after last nights hard rains. :roll:
Sorry to here about the thunderstorms and slush. Yeah, who would have thought!
We got sleet last night and a little more snow today (so ice underneath :shock: )
After shoveling, took the Triangle Roadmaster out, 22F and 17 mph wind
Dropped the tire pressure a lot so not too bad
IMG_5172II.jpg

It was great to see the young kids ride their MTBs with hockey sticks across the handlebars and skates hanging off the saddles :lol:

Re: Almost Winter time....IT'S HERE! thunderstorms 1-23

Not much of a Winter around here this year. (it's weird I miss it )

Thursday night a snow storm came through. They said up to 10 inches, We got 2 inches of very wet heavy snow :roll:

Fridays I work "early" at 10am so I take the bike with me to drop the kids of at school at 8:55am Then leave the van so my Wife can ride
back to school when she is done with work to pick the boys up.

blackbigsnow2-24001.jpg

The lake front path was plowed and salted at 9am. better then the side streets.
blackbigsnow2-24002.jpg

blackbigsnow2-24005-1.jpg

blackbigsnow2-24011.jpg

blackbigsnow2-24010-1.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Latest posts

Back