almost done

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a picture update on one of the builds I have going right now. I had it all together and rode it around the block once to see if everything was going to work out, everything checked out so now it's got some color and needs to be reassembled.
almostdone001.jpg
almostdone008.jpg
almostdone003.jpg
This was in etching primer and before the bottom bracket was welded in.
almostdone006.jpg
almostdone004.jpg
almostdone005.jpg
almostdone012.jpg
And this is in the paint booth, a quick wet sand and one or two more coats of clear and it will be ready to assemble.

Thanks, I mostly paint with polyurethanes like Dopont chomabase , I also use a lot of Auto Air water based air brush paints. On this bike I started with a black base marbleized a bigger flake silver over that added some sculls then mixed up a transparent gold/copper and layered it to the color I wanted. The next step is to clear it, wet sand it and clear it again and that should do it.

chimichanga said:
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
I'm digging the paint bro! What paint did you use?

+1 LOVIN THE SKULLZ...me thinkz you might do this for a living i noticed in your trike thread the bikes sitting in a spray booth :: wink ::

Was curious about the tire/rim combo, they are 4in wide 24's are they with 3in wide 24 tires? the rims
seem to over hand the tire (on the back rim)

Look forwad to the finish assemblu best of luck...

KiM

The front wheel is 3x24" with a 24x3.0 tire , the rear wheel is 4x24" also with the same tire. It was a little tight getting it on there but with some soapy water and a prayer I got it on there. The place I got the wheels and tires(Choppers U S) now offers a 4.25x24" tire I'm going to switch to, I think it will fit the rim a lot better. I work as a sign painter to pay the bills and put food on the table, I build bikes,cars and motorcycles for fun.

YEs i use the 20 x 4.25 rims and a tires myself, if the 24x4.25s are anything like mine to get on double up on the soapy water buddy .... they were tight to get on! Of course soon as i unpacked them from the ChoppersUS parcel i HAD to fit the tires to the rims before lacing them JUST to see how they looked BIG MISTAKE they are as hard to get off as they are to get on so i effectively doubled my workload (had two rims two tires for trike :? hahaa...)

I actually like the look of that rear like it is looks like a very low profile tire like you see on these ricer cars getting around hehee...

KiM

:shock: :shock: :shock:
Pure ART.
Of course I love the painting, but that beautiful frame deserves some credit too. Lovely.

Viking, the problem with the fit of the tire on the 4.25 wide rim is that there is no dish in the inside wall of the rim. If you study any motorcycle rim you will see at least some dish or recess compared to the bead area of the rim. This allows the tire to stretch and give the needed space to flop over the rim. I've build about a dozen of these wheels so far and I hate this rim. Even the 3.0" has some dish in them. Also the aluminum these rims are made from are very soft! Use only plastic tire irons on them. I used a set of my steel irons and actually punctured the inside wall of the rim trying to coerce the tire into place.

Also the 24 X 4.25 tire Choppers US sells doesn't go on any easier! I just mounted one last week.
2e6dfyh.jpg

123krqf.jpg

13ygqd.jpg

The front wheel and tire is a 26X3 and went together very easily.

I've even consided building a rim roller and making my own rims some day. LOL Did you know that only one company in China (Rigida) is making these wide rims? I think its time for some American competition.

Later Travis

Wow! That is incredible!!

Is that springer one of those Monarch reproductions that many are having trouble with fitting? I'm looking for a fork for my build and want something similar to that.

hey Steve I was going to leave this in etch primer (musturd color) but it does'nt offer much protection from the elements, plus my air brush would'nt let me.

Jklier- This is one of those reproduction Monarch springers. I didn't have any trouble with the head tube because I cut it to fit the fork, but I did have trouble fitting my front wheel into the forks so I had to widen the forks 1 1/4" so the tire would fit.

Rat Rod said:
I actually liked it a lot in that mustard primer color......awesome looking ride! :D

i was thinking same thing.

awesome looking ride. surely you stenciled the skulls on?

SICK!!!!

Good luck with that fork, I hear horrible things. You could mod them to work with a 26" bmx type cruiser fork..look on my build .. last page :D

Im happy to let you know Ill be biteing that design :D as soon as I get some cash saved up Im building a bike just like that!!!

The mustard color is the sexy. Other than that, i loved every details you have build on that bike. I would cover up the tube holes on the frame if i were you. ;)

Latest posts

Back