All About Nexus Hubs - Anyone an Expert Here

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Howdy,

I'm already planning my next build and want to do something multispeed.

What is the history of the Nexus unit?
Any ones to look out for?
Any to avoid?

Thanks in advance!

ok,
erix

They are all good!
The issues will only be how much

do you want to spend ?
and what shifter will you be running with the Hub set up ?
The stock shifter or a Custom one ?

The 3's are awesome and easy to work with,
the 4, 7, 8 are incredible units.

Custom shifters ?

O.K. Kev, you have peaked my curiosity. If its not too much trouble, I would like to see an example of a custom shifting device. I have a brand neww 3 sp. in the box for an up-coming project. Thanks Rick :mrgreen:

CRW_7992.jpg

CRW_7943-1.jpg

this is the Mock up stage with an Old 5 Speed Lever.
you can also find any Old Shimano Lever....
"Click Stick...hot Rod shifter...etc" and wire it right up.

here's what mine looked like in Mock up during my Build,

peace,
Kev.

0030.jpg

The Nexus three speeds are Mounted at the Hub with a Splined shaft.
you can rotate that whole Shifter mechanism so that The Cable comes out at almost any angle,
which alows you to Guide / Run the Shifter cable up any angle of Seat Stays / Chain Stays / etc.

The Nexus hubs are wider than a normal coaster brake hub, so you may have to "stretch" the frame. Or "shrink" it, if its a mountain bike type frame. There's a "how to" post about that in the proper section.

The outer length between nuts is about 132mm for 8-speed, 127/130mm for 7-speed, and 120/127mm for 3-speed.

Hugo

only one i would say to avoid would be the 4 spd because it was only made for a few years and unless you can find the compleat deal shifter and all you will have a heck of a time finding parts. i would say the 3 is the most user friendly, but the 7 is the best balance between bling, being very functional, and tough. i personally have had the 8 speed hub be rather finicky and not lend it's self well to customs and you have to be every carefull about shifter adjustment because get it wrong just a little and the hub will be trash.

I go for the 7 speeds...

However, I don't know for sure, but the searches I've done for the ratchet (quickfire?) shifters as of late have been ery empty. It almost appears that it is no longer available. If anyone knows where they can be bought, I'd certainly be interested.

I like the 7 speed enough that I have two on bikes presently, and a third sitting and waiting to be placed in a new home (homes are abundant around here, with seven bikes in waiting for stand time).

As far as shifters of odd compostion, here's one of mine. The other is the "twist-o-shifto," and it works pretty well but is just a little lacking in the "cool" department.

Here's the Rat Royale's Suicide Shift:
Whole thing:

Close-up of mechanism: (Note that the crankset had not been changed at the time of this shot.)

Rat Royale
REC Elsewhere

Is that a Nexxus or the stock Surmey on your felt?

Thanks All!

Few more questions:

I've seen some of the hubs that look like machined works of art and others that look like a blob of alloy.
What's the cool units to look for? Age, model #'s etc..

ok,
erix

You mean "derailed" don't you? :lol:

I guess the gist of it is - do they all look the same externally or are some models different appearing?

Also - the little shifter dealy that hangs out there on the end of the axle - are these all the same?

Thanks!

erix

erix said:
You mean "derailed" don't you? :lol:

I guess the gist of it is - do they all look the same externally or are some models different appearing?

Also - the little shifter dealy that hangs out there on the end of the axle - are these all the same?

Thanks!

erix

now...
If it's an Old Shimano 333 three speed,
The Shifter Dealy ( Indicator Rod ) are usually Standard.
but don't Try and Mix Shimano with Sturmey Archer.

On the New Shimano Nexus Hubs, their is no indicator Rod,
just the Shifter dealy...and the Nexus 3's have that shifter dealy,
the 4's 7's and 8's are sought after because they don't have
that hanging out of the Frame Drop out.
They have a Plate between the Hub and the Dropout that runs
the shifter cable which leaves the Outside looking Clutter free.
But as stated, they are Bigger, and you REALLY have to stretch your Frame to squeeze em in.

You can also buy different Shifter Plates for those so that you can direct that
Cable up...or down depending on the Model of Bike they are on.

hope this helps,
Look at "Rat Rods" Dyno Bike,
it has a Nexus 7 0n it.
Look Close at the Rear...Clutter free
Lokk at mine above...I have the Shifter dealy,

Look at my "Northern Cycle" it has the 60's 70's Shimano 333 with the indicator rod.

Kev.

Slick Rick said:
Is that a Nexxus or the stock Surmey on your felt?

Rick,
This one didn't come with a S/A, it was a "Lee-Chi" coaster brake single speed Scythe.

The Torch I bought for parts had the 3 speed Sturmey, and it was OK, but this is a far better setup (IMHO! :lol: )

Photo here is the Torch the front brake for "Rat Royale" (the Scythe) came from... I sold this bike about a year ago.

erix said:
Thanks All!

Few more questions:

I've seen some of the hubs that look like machined works of art and others that look like a blob of alloy.
What's the cool units to look for? Age, model #'s etc..

ok,
erix

Eric,
There were Aluminum shelled ones, and there were stel shelled ones. Stretch Orangestrong has a steel one, Rat Royale has an aluminum one, and I have another aluminum one sitting awaiting a home. (The new home is sitting here too..)

They have a washer on each side that kind of "directs" the up/down angle of the shift mechanism. The washers are even color coded to ensure that you use the same angle (but symetrically opposite) on each side.

Those "super machined" ones... I have seen the aluminum ones VERY polished with the black band around the center having been removed. (And they DO look nice!)

Photos of each:
Steel...

Aluminum...

Back