Adjusting a Nexus Hub

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rat Rod

Owner & Founder
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
Anyone know the proper way to adjust a Nexus 3 speed hub?

100_4097.jpg

Put it in Second gear....

back off that "Set Nut" Closest to The Gear Box,

spin the other nut ( Cable adjuster ) until the Litlle Gismo inside is Between those Yellow Lines.....

Tighten the Lock Nut back up and............DONE!

it's about a 30 Second Adjustment.

Hope this helps,

Kev.

Clothespin "n" said:
the Little Gismo

i read your reply before the picture had loaded...i don't own any Nexus hubs, but i knew EXACTLY what you were talking about...or is 'Little Gismo' the actual name as listed in the Nexus manual :D
Having the bike shop and working at NAPA is almost like being in a Dr Seuss book...with all the "thingy's", "what's-its", "doo-dads"...and yes, "Gismo's"...and I almost always know what people are talking about!

new_dharma said:
Having the bike shop and working at NAPA is almost like being in a Dr Seuss book...with all the "thingy's", "what's-its", "doo-dads"...and yes, "Gismo's"...and I almost always know what people are talking about!

thingamajigs and doohickeys are popular in Iowa Napas :)
we have a whole shelf full of them

new_dharma said:
Clothespin "n" said:
the Little Gismo

i read your reply before the picture had loaded...i don't own any Nexus hubs, but i knew EXACTLY what you were talking about...or is 'Little Gismo' the actual name as listed in the Nexus manual :D

That's what "Thing #1" and "Thing #2" call it....so
when I heard them say it...it Stuck :lol: :lol: :lol:

Clothespin "n" said:

spin the other nut ( Cable adjuster ) until the Litlle Gismo inside is Between those Yellow Lines.....

Kev.

I bought a slightly used 3spd nexus and have tried all adjustments correct and incorrect but still only have 2 gears. I think they are the bottom 2.

Would it be possible it is a defective/broken hub or could it be a problem with the cable or shifter?

Cman, when you put the axle nut on you want the outside of the nut to be right where the taper on the axle begins. I've had this problem and re-centering the axle or even just using a spacer made all the diffrence in the world...Kelly

Kelly, Thanks I hadn't though of that. and that could make a difference with the overall push of the rod.

cman said:
Clothespin "n" said:

Kev.

I bought a slightly used 3spd nexus and have tried all adjustments correct and incorrect but still only have 2 gears. I think they are the bottom 2.

Don't know if your problem has been solved, but there are 3 different push rods, old shimano 3 speed uses +/- 86 mm, new ones shorter 82 mm (I believe it's 81.4 or 82.4, but the short one, we have those as type I, II, III in the shop) and for 3 speed with roller brake the longest 91.2 mm or so.

Happy cruisin
The Chopperdome

we ran into that problem on mastershake916"s army bike. it needed a longer push rod than the one i had. i was able to make it work but less than ideal. also make sure the shift housing that attaches to the axle is pushed all the way on when you tighten it. lastly try poping the plasic cover off underneith and see if it shifts better. if so shorten the cable that is sticking out past the nut that grabs the cable. the extra cable can jam up inside and that will mess up the shifting.

just al littl` help please

i used the above way to perfectly adjust my nexus 3 speed, and it works.

there`s only one little problem, when i put it in first gear it sometime `switches/takes` second gears and than back to first, totally random.

is this a problem with the cables not being grease enough on the inside?

or is it the axle that you put in, the small stick ?

thnx !

Latest posts

Back