Adjusting a Coaster Brake Rear Rim

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 20in. rear rim with coaster brakes on it that i want to use. When i bolted it in i noticed the wheel has a lot of slop (like the bearings need tightening). Is there a way to adjust this without taking the wheel apart? I tried to tighten the nut inside the frame opposite side of brake arm but it wouldnt move. Tried that with wheel mounted and outside nut loose.

I wont dare take it apart. The first and last time i took one apart after assembly you had to pedal backwords at least 2 revolutions before the brake would engage. That tutorial also says coaster brake stuff needs to be handled by a pro.

Coaster brakes are not that hard(excluding internal geared ones, as I have never taken them apart, YET). The key thing is to keep track of every singel piece, and put it back the same way it came out. A diagram of the hub is very helpfull too. You might list the model of hub in question.

You can learn like I did, I took one apart, cleaned up every last part, and figured how it worked and went back together. I did that a couple times, then added lube throughout and assembled it. I've redone others that are slightly different, but they all are similar in how they work. After a couple times, they seem simple.

I forgot to add, the grease will hold the brake pads in place as you line up the axle. That makes it a lot easier.

One thing I learned (on youtube) when I was learning 3spds is to put things down in the order you take them off, and set them on the same side. So the hub would sit with the brake arm on the left, as though you were looking at it from the back of the bike. The outer most right axle nut would go on your right side, furthest away from you. The right axle washer would be next (I think) also on your right just inside the axle nut. If you set things on a towel they won't roll away.

I was just going to replace the bearings in a S/A 3 spd and before you know it I had the whole thing apart, but having laid it out like that I got it back together in the right order.

There are several vids on youtube, I didn't check them out but I've always found one that helps. Good luck, I bet you can do it.

Not including the nuts that hold the wheel to the frame.. on the sprocket side there should be 2 nuts. The inside one will probably take a thin wrench to get on it. Anyway.. break the two loose from each other then tighten the inner nut by hand and you should be able to feel when the slop is out. Hold the inner nut with wrench and tighten the outer back up to lock it. Too tight is not good either. Be sure there is no drag.

mitch has the answer. Adjust the cone nut on the non-drive side.
you don't have to take the CB apart, but you will need a thin cone wrench.
takes about 2 min. with the proper wrenchs.

jerrykr said:
mitch has the answer. Adjust the cone nut on the non-drive side.
you don't have to take the CB apart, but you will need a thin cone wrench.
takes about 2 min. with the proper wrenchs.

+2 on the cone wrenches. I bought a set of ebay and they are a life saver.

I had a friend of mine take it apart. He said he has experiance with them and something was wrong inside he said. We scrapped the wheel and used another better one that he had in his junk. We tried tightening the cones but was no use because of the internal problem.

Back