Adding gears to a single speed cruiser (Wal Mart OP Roller")

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just picked up a 26" OP Beach Cruiser from Wallyworld. I'd like to add gears via a rear wheel kit. Prefer 5-7 speed, but might settle for 3 depending on cost.

I'm considering these two options:

Avenir Joytec/Weinmann AMUZ 36H Nutted Rear Wheel with 5-7 Speed Freewheel Hub

Shimano Nexus 3 speed Rear Wheel w/ Coaster Brake 26

Of the two, I prefer the Avenir, since its black and appears to be a 5-7 speed. But I'm not sure this is a full kit or what. I don't see where it has a coaster brake and there is no cable with shifter.

Any suggestions?

The first one had the wrong illustration, you would have to add a handbrake. And a derailler and shifter w cable.

Wildcat said:
The first one had the wrong illustration, you would have to add a handbrake. And a derailler and shifter w cable.

Thanks for the feedback Wildcat.

I was under impression this was an internal hub. Why would it need a deraillier?

Wildcat said:

....and a freewheel.... and a 3/32 chain.....and a 3/32 compatable chainring......

that's one of the 'wrongest' illustrations they could have possibly used!

:D

At the risk of sounding rude (and getting banned)...

Sometimes ya gotta spread the chain stays and just jam it in there.(talkin' about the wheel)

Thats how I did it.

It rides and shifts fine.

I just saw this at Sams Club. I could get the entire bike for $130, use the rear wheel and shifter and have parts left over.
0001675192692_A

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/shop/produ ... rod1110509

Adding gears to a single speed cruiser (Wal Mart OP Roller")

You could use your old wheel on the new bike and build yourself a custom cruiser. And so the affliction starts.

Re: Adding gears to a single speed cruiser (Wal Mart OP Roller

druggedonions said:
You could use your old wheel on the new bike and build yourself a custom cruiser. And so the affliction starts.

I like the OP frame and forward crank position way too much to build the bike around the Sam's model. I'd just use it for the parts (rear wheel, shifter and front fork)

To give me even more fuel, I stopped by the local bike shop today and priced an Electra "Townie" that has a virtually identical frame to this one, it was $550

All in, when I'm done, I'll have spent half of that and have a completely custom ride.

PS: I'm painting it up like an Army messenger bike.

I didn't know they had a crank forward bike at walmart. Can you post a pic?

Once you have it like you want it, won't there be enough leftover to make a one speed cruiser out of the other bike, to sell on CL to recoup some funds?

Wildcat said:
I didn't know they had a crank forward bike at walmart. Can you post a pic?

Once you have it like you want it, won't there be enough leftover to make a one speed cruiser out of the other bike, to sell on CL to recoup some funds?

Great idea. I just might do that.

Here's a pic of the OP "Roller". Currently available at WalMart on clearance special for $79
29422d1285622175-op-roller-black-magic-op-black-magic-006.jpg

Here's the bike it appears to be cloning, The Electra "Sparker"...
BeachCruiser710.jpg

And here's what lots of people are doing with them...
28805d1283823176-ocean-pacific-cruiser-motobike.jpg

And this...

Latest posts

Back