Adding a Front Brake to a Springer?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all, I have a Giant "Simple Seven that came with a springer front end. I love this bike adn ride it daily but would really like to add a front brake to it. Is there any way of doing this without having to weld or do major mods to the front end, something like a clamp on brake set up?

Here is a picture of the front end
3o89.jpg

You can clamp to the legs, although I'm not sure how the opposing of downward and rearward forces on the wheel would work out. It has certainly been done. A drum or disc might be better than a common caliper, as it would not be affected by rim imperfections.

Would love to see a disc brake set up on the bike but I THINK that might be cost prohibitive.

I went to the salvage yard and got a drum front brake off of a moped for $3. Works great. You might also find a used one at any motorcycle shop that services/sells mopeds.

I have seen a caliper mounted at the bottom of the fork crown, just like a regular fork. I have no idea if it worked!
Drum brake it, especially if there is a motor involved.

Back