Acid. Reborn (finished)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You lost me on this last post. I see springs, and then I see bent flat steel; but not the two put together?

Also, I didn't realize there were so many dimensions and thicknesses to choose from with Suntour springs!

You're nearing the end of your 12th day before the BO 18 closes... keep on keepin' on!

You lost me on this last post. I see springs, and then I see bent flat steel; but not the two put together?

Also, I didn't realize there were so many dimensions and thicknesses to choose from with Suntour springs!

You're nearing the end of your 12th day before the BO 18 closes... keep on keepin' on!
Yeah, in retrospect I see that I was a bit unclear.
First section was springs and material for shock legs.
This is when I made the old shock legs, which are made from too thick material
CD9363D7-38D9-4E9D-9B7C-BD5A82E4AE13.jpeg

Second section, with the bent steel, is me making a yoke to better anchor the static part of the shocks. The anchor points circled in purple below, before the enhancement.
40BB2230-9AEF-4201-933D-EEFB8194BB5F.jpeg

After enhancement, a yoke is added (but with shocks removed for the time being)
376D3147-4F27-421C-8966-E327F482F23B.jpeg

Yes less than 12 days to go. Maybe I’ll have to scrap the idler pulley part

Some more theory regarding the springs, which I've now measured and calculated for my application

20210720calc.jpg

I'll be using max 160mm of rear hub travel generating max 80mm of spring travel.

In cyan, in the lower right, numbers for the IRL application: total spring force counteracting the weight on the pedals.
With slack spring initially (=less preload) in shades of green. With maximum tight spring to still allow for 80mm spring travel (=max preload) in yellows

Some more theory regarding the springs, which I've now measured and calculated for my application

View attachment 241805
I'll be using max 160mm of rear hub travel generating max 80mm of spring travel.

In cyan, in the lower right, numbers for the IRL application: total spring force counteracting the weight on the pedals.
With slack spring initially (=less preload) in shades of green. With maximum tight spring to still allow for 80mm spring travel (=max preload) in yellows
To be honest, I have no clue what exactly you are calculating here (I'm more of a trial and error guy😜), but your setup is plain awesome 👍😎

Added four alternate mounting holes on shock legs, for varying amounts of initial spring tension (preload).

Closeup of new holes. Now using the 3rd position out of 4.
D13D1BFD-BB8C-45EB-AB13-D7A2867E938F.jpeg

B13AFB35-DCBA-43B7-A77C-5C15EEDA76AB.jpeg
C473F15A-DF66-4252-86DA-00CA585709C7.jpeg

Thes springs are quite strong. Real PITA to mount them.

Video of the suspension

GIF to highlight end positions
ezgif.com-gif-maker.gif

Should I sand out the yellow paint on the rear wheel swing arm? I always intended to..

Last edited:
Added four alternate mounting holes on shock legs, for varying amounts of initial spring tension (preload).

View attachment 241972
View attachment 241971View attachment 241970

Video of the suspension
View attachment 241973

View attachment 241974

Should I sand out the yellow paint on the rear wheel swing arm? I always intended to..

Since there is no other 'color' on the frame, concerning the yellow maybe sand it out,or just black it out with paint might be faster and cooler!

I agree with @OddJob here. Either a satin black, or a dark metal colored metallic with flat clear coat on it would match in well.
Since there is no other 'color' on the frame, concerning the yellow maybe sand it out,or just black it out with paint might be faster and cooler!

Great ideas. I have some touch up for a ’95 Kona Hahanna that might look cool.

Your rear suspension design is mind bending. Uber cool! :113:
Thank you my friend 😃

View attachment 241972
View attachment 241971View attachment 241970

Video of the suspension
View attachment 241973

View attachment 241974

I dunno, the yellow looks intentional and ties in the lettering on the tires. I think you could rock it either way. I would get everything else you need to do dialed in, then (if you still have the time and desire) take off the yellow.

I dunno, the yellow looks intentional and ties in the lettering on the tires. I think you could rock it either way. I would get everything else you need to do dialed in, then (if you still have the time and desire) take off the yellow.
True, there are some must do things to fix before deadline. And this is probably more of a may do thing

☝️This!
(and I would leave the red rings as is, 'cause they somehow highlight your cool spring fab work!)

Keep the yellow!, to me this lokks more of a "Trick Part" tying in the rear suspension, sort of draws you to it so you then have a closer look at the great work going on. the yellow on the tires will compliment it!, im for the yellow!
Mate...the bike is dead set gorgeous, that headlight has me running for the hills, how are we supposed to keep up with your inventiveness! picking up inspiration everywhere on this build!

Keep the yellow!, to me this lokks more of a "Trick Part" tying in the rear suspension, sort of draws you to it so you then have a closer look at the great work going on. the yellow on the tires will compliment it!, im for the yellow!
Mate...the bike is dead set gorgeous, that headlight has me running for the hills, how are we supposed to keep up with your inventiveness! picking up inspiration everywhere on this build!
Thanks! The camaraderie on forum is unparalleled 😍

I will probably not have the time to get an idler pulley system working. Maybe this mockup is as close as I get, before I revert back to a classic layout
F48B2627-4632-4476-A520-A85472F25E78.jpeg

Chain line issues are severe
06FE074C-B106-46CB-B957-62B1AA6CEB94.jpeg

Projectors we’re originally fitted with dual incandescent 15W bulbs of an unusual type.
AB0AA2D4-18D6-4075-A8BC-1F005EED133F.jpeg
I’ve refitted them with high powered H8 LEDs. This steel ribbon is very useful
53172E3F-B3D8-419E-BC04-19FED402AE55.jpeg

And added some weathering (steel wool scrubbing) to the outsides, that were a bit to shiny. Before vs after
794B4E03-2611-4C07-BC80-B04D77AF160A.jpeg

Back