"Abandoned" bike

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was out of a bike ride today and there was a bike chained up to a power line tower. Its been there since my last bike ride thru that area over 3 months ago!

Its just chained there sitting in the weeds. Not moved or touched it seems. The seat is starting to tear and rust is starting to form in some places.
How would I go about finding the owner? Why would anyone just leave it there too? It looks like a really awesome bike...

Here is a pic of it...
CIMG0955-1.jpg

My guess is they leave it here and travel by car to take it out for a ride once in a while, leave a note on it

This may sound a little far fetched but, It could be some married guys bike who drives his car to that area and then rides his bike to his girlfriends. Pitch a tent and find out. That is a pretty nice bike.

Is that a folder bike?Maybe he works for the electric company since its hooked to a power pole,and instead of driving his work truck out there he keeps the bike there to get some excersize on that part of his route.

Its a sit down recumbent style bike, day6bikes.com was on the bike. But somehow (Probably sheer lazyness) I never looked at the site.

I don't think its been moved for a bit as too the weeds grown into the spokes and the mostly flat tires. I'll take a look at it again in a few weeks and see if there is a bike license sticker or anything on it...

i like the leave a note and see if the reflectors in the wheels moved. since its locked up, you can never rightously have it unless you go thru the propor channels with the current owner or police if done as abandoned. i know i used to keep a bike chained up in a remote location cuz my bus didn't run all the way out to my house, so id ride to a rendevouz point, hide and lock my bike and catch my bus. if someone came around the area the same day everyday (after ive caught my bus) they swear it was abandoned.

I agree, go through the proper channels and get it legally. If a bike shop's name is on it, they probably know who bought it because it's an unusual bike. They may have the serial number on file.

Maybe someone caught a ride home when a tire went flat, had too much "refreshment with the boys" and forgot where he left the bike.

Serial info: "The serial number for your bicycle is located on the underside of the frame, where it is stamped into the central axis of the pedal assembly."

Here's their website with all the WI dealers. Happy hunting!

http://www.day6bicycles.com/dealers.html#

Wildcat said:
I agree, go through the proper channels and get it legally. If a bike shop's name is on it, they probably know who bought it because it's an unusual bike. They may have the serial number on file.

Maybe someone caught a ride home when a tire went flat, had too much "refreshment with the boys" and forgot where he left the bike.

Serial info: "The serial number for your bicycle is located on the underside of the frame, where it is stamped into the central axis of the pedal assembly."

Here's their website with all the WI dealers. Happy hunting!

http://www.day6bicycles.com/dealers.html#

Strangely enough, there is a bar across the street.

haha thats funny!This morning on the radio they were talking about people getting drunk and cant find their cars for a few days,even a couple of weeks!So maybe half thinkin while he was at the bar was,OK I'LL JUST LOCK IT OVER HERE SO NOONE SEES IT!honestly thats a pretty good stash spot for someone whos going bar hoppin with friends,and then sober hits and he doesnt remember where exactly he locked it up!

I think if the power company finds it they will surely remove it. I dont think you can legally leave a bike chained to thier property. The power lines by me are clearly marked as private property/ Keep out kinda signs. Maybe you should contact them and the police in that area. Im sure if its lost or stolen the police probably have a report on the serial # if the owner cared about it. Sure would be nice to have. Just my 2 cents.

Back