A week of wheels

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A week ago on Sunday I grabbed this off CL. Turned out to be a fellow RRB member and a really nice guy.

1960's Hawthorne. Already got it repainted and riding but no pictures of that yet. Seller also happened to have an exact match frame to replace a Monark frame I butchered years ago and sold me that as well. Nice! :wink:

91c4cb2852fadd3a02f31cf22520d501_zpse4b86b07.jpg

Mid-way through the week I scooped this up from a friend that needed some quick cash. Initially we thought it was a bit older than it actually was. I pulled the crank out and found a '42 date. Schwinn New World model. Although it appears gold-ish silver in the photo with a little Goof Off I found the bike is actually a nice, deep burgundy color underneath. Working on stripping it back down while not destroying the original graphics. I also found that it looks like under a thin layer of overspray the sprocket is actually black which would fit with the build timeline.

e44f702157157085136cc932630513fa_zps4c526806.jpg

Lastly today I hit a swap meet and brought these three gems home.

2d15938fb5d5e570ac9da28c1f2cc8cf_zps74be8e4f.jpg

The Hiawatha has one of my all-time favorite springers. Although it's seen a shabby re-paint it's fairly complete and generally pretty nice. Tires even seem to hold air!

deffcd140fe55dc733f05a78977ffc20_zpsc5beeaff.jpg

The Schwinn is nothing special. The headset bearings were frozen up which made it really fun to drag around. It also looks like someone made some very beefy brackets to potentially mount a banana seat on it at one time? At $10 I couldn't pass it up.

The last one I probably shouldn't have bought but it was also $10 and I was impulsive. Real disaster. Fork bent, chain destroyed and rusted solid, real turd-burger...but cheap! :mrgreen:

Thanks.
Scored the pedal cars at the swap as well. Never owned one before but thought they were kind of neat.

17f9ad3818f0c5045ade97f9131c5ace_zpsa4b9ce2d.jpg

Two of them are just the body shells. The other is fairly complete.
All should be fun projects.

I think that middle pedal car's styling is based on the 1960 Edsel, which makes it especially collectible in my book.

Cool pedal cars. The middle car is a Murray T-Bird. You can get the running gear on ebay usually. If you want correct parts go to pedalcarsandparts.com His name is Dan Portel. He has lots of parts.

That middle one reminds me of a '59 Pontiac. Were pedal cars ever really designed to copy a full scale car ?

oldfart36 said:
One of those pedal cars is screaming "Gasser Build" :p 8)

I was thinking the same thing! :mrgreen:
Because two of the three bodies were missing the chassis I was hunting around a bit while I was at the swap. I ended up finding an old baby buggy chassis to use for parts. When I unloaded all the stuff I sat that middle body on it for a picture. When it sat that high I could help thinking gasser. You can kind of see it in the corner of this photo.

deffcd140fe55dc733f05a78977ffc20_zpsc5beeaff.jpg

It probably didn't hurt that the fellow that owns this Corvair gasser came over for a carburetor yesterday.
So cool!

fff6aa71cee6f4363615ae182c0f294f_zps92eb1cb8.jpg

BlueFlame said:
That middle one reminds me of a '59 Pontiac. Were pedal cars ever really designed to copy a full scale car ?

Yes, I believe they were. As someone mentioned above I believe the middle one in the photo of all three is based on a Thunderbird although I think they called it a Tee Bird. Personally I think it looks like a generic conglomeration of lots of cars from that period.

I have seen actual Mustang pedal cars but that is the only specific model I have seen exactly replicated.

This is a cool example that a fellow HAMB member built from a Murray like the one in the center of your picture. I'm working on one as well right now.

Back