A Tribute for Dad is delivered to a happy guy!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Bringing back the first bike

Can’t wait to see the pic’s of the powder coated pieces! :D Are you picking up or dropping
off the parts to be plated next week?

I will be dropping the parts off the parts for plating as soon as he gets back from his Bike Across Kansas tour. I'll get some pics of the powder coated parts tomorrow morning when they are in my hot little hands.

Back from the powder coater.

It's just like Christmas!
f6b1d627.jpg

It's beautiful!
700adfaf.jpg

64782e50.jpg

Wow! Looks great already!
What an incredibly cool thing to do. I think this one really hit me because I just found out my 75 year old dad is in hospital 1,000 miles away, and extremely ill.
Can't wait to see the finished product and hear about your dad's reaction.

Re: A Tribute for Dad

The bug is an '01. It was my sister's first car and she was very abusive to it. So the interior and the body are both pretty rough. She left it with my mom when she moved from Austin to Chicago. It sat in mom's driveway for the better part of a year unused and ignored. I bought it from her for $2000. On the trip home with it from Austin I was t-boned by a big black dog. It cracked the rear fender but the dog just shook it off and kept on running. It is a fun little car, just wish she hadn't broken the a/c.

nice job man! lookin really nice. :D

After inspecting the frame I frame, I found a couple spots I wasn't happy with. Dropped it back off on my way to work and they are stripping it an recoating it. They were very apologetic for having missed it on their inspection and stood behind their job. :D

nice man, awesome service. :D

udallcustombikes said:
After inspecting the frame I frame, I found a couple spots I wasn't happy with. Dropped it back off on my way to work and they are stripping it an recoating it. They were very apologetic for having missed it on their inspection and stood behind their job. :D
Just the frame?
Your stripes look good.

aka_locojoe said:
udallcustombikes said:
Just the frame?
Your stripes look good.

Everything else looks great, just a few spots on the frame- a small bubble on the top tube, a spot that looks like something rubbed the canti tube between coating and the oven, and the inside of the joints where the canti tubes meet the down tube got missed entirely.

Big thanks to ratfink1962 for the star chain ring and to 65rat for the wheel set. Swung by Lowe's this morning and picked up some stainless steel nuts and bolts to replace the old rusted stuff.

To-do list-
1. Pick up the frame
2. Get the stem, star chain ring, seat post and fender braces replated
3. Buy tires, pedals, seat, Western Flyer grips, Western Flyer decal and a new chain
4. Assemble
5. Surprise Dad

Tire thoughts...

I got a nice chrome wheel set from 65rat with some nice red tires on them. Just wanted to see how they looked.
f585d542.jpg

I think the tires will be saved for another build.

He also gave me an old white wall to mock up on the bike.
a5487e6d.jpg

Not sure about the white walls either. I didn't have a black wall handy to throw on there tonight, but that is what I am leaning towards.

udallcustombikes said:
I talked with my grand-mother last time we were down there about a pic, but she has a bedroom with about 150 shoe boxes of old photos. I hope she finds one!

My great aunt has two full suitcases of pics of my mom and uncle. It's odd :)

I cannot wait for this. You'll have to take a video or atleaat a picture. If you need any parts give me a shout I might have some I'd sellfor the shipping cost!

Sam

Back