A tank to fit this bike?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought this bike from someone here on ratrodbikes, and it's on the way!
I'm not sure I want to put a tank on it, but if I decide to, does it need to be a specific Western Flyer/Huffman-made tank, or will other brands fit? What do I look for? I'm not highly skilled (read: I am incapable) at rearranging metal to suit my fancy, so it would pretty much need to fit out of the box.
Thanks in advance. :)
3386626002_22322ccb60_o.jpg

Make it out of wood! I have no skills and did it. Just lay the bike over on it's side and trace the opening onto a piece of wood.
29yh73q.jpg

2luqvy0.jpg

That's kinda a fun idea! :)

I'd ideally like a "plumper" appearance but will consider a wood filler if I can't find one.

you could build it "plumpier". Build it up and grind it off :mrgreen:
Maybe even some cool woodworking (carving,sculpting) :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Markm said:
you could build it "plumpier". Build it up and grind it off :mrgreen:
Maybe even some cool woodworking (carving,sculpting) :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

or papier-maché! LOL

you want to make it plumper "feed it twinkies" :shock: :lol:

if you can paper mache' you just gotta throw on a couple layers of fiberglass over top (same technique different materials)you could also make the core from foam, but it would need to be protected-special paint,plastic wrapp etc.

fiberglas is cheap and they have alot of easy use, low odour/non flamable epoxies on the market.

alittle sanding with a wood block and you could fabricate the tank in a weekend

Your a WW-2 buff? Yes? Make a cardboard pattern and get a carpenter friend to make a plywood or real wood to fill inbetween the frame. Afix it to the bike with some clamps, like whats on your brake arm of your coaster brake. Find something at the hardware store in the plumbing or electrical section.

Here's your part. Find a picture poster from WW-2, make a copy, and paste it on. Seal it with something out of a spraycan. It's your custom artwork now.

Rosie the Riveter or maybe some bomber nose artwork. These would be cool. Betty Boop!

My aunts welded at the Quincy Shipyard durring WW-2. They would think it's cool.

Have fun with this :D

GL

I forgot to say..............Cool Ride you got there......................

Graylock said:
Your a WW-2 buff? Yes? Make a cardboard pattern and get a carpenter friend to make a plywood or real wood to fill inbetween the frame. Afix it to the bike with some clamps, like whats on your brake arm of your coaster brake. Find something at the hardware store in the plumbing or electrical section.

Here's your part. Find a picture poster from WW-2, make a copy, and paste it on. Seal it with something out of a spraycan. It's your custom artwork now.

Rosie the Riveter or maybe some bomber nose artwork. These would be cool. Betty Boop!

My aunts welded at the Quincy Shipyard durring WW-2. They would think it's cool.

Have fun with this :D

GL

I forgot to say..............Cool Ride you got there......................

Whoa, that's a fun idea! So is the fiberglass, but I was kidding about papier-maché. Your clamp idea could turn out cool because you could have a quarter-inch or half-inch gap all around the wooden "tank" like it was hovering in the frame. Hmmm.

The problem is....this bike wasn't originally supposed to be very ratty. :lol: I was going to do a nice classy paintjob reminiscent of bikes back then, but not in original colors. The seat and handlebar grips also won't be historically accurate (I am re-leathering the seat and getting leather grips to match) and obviously the chain guard and sprocket are way goofy too. BUT, that being said, I had originally wanted a fairly accurate, run-of-the-mill metal tank.

Call me boring and unoriginal! :oops: But this is my first ever project and I was going for, like, "most subtle rat rod ever." :) Maybe I'll end up going tankless....I won't worry about hunting one down till I finish the rest of the bike. I'll probably love it even without a tank. I was just curious to see if other makes of tank would fit this frame or not.

Since you are asking about what would be involved in finding an original tank you might start by checking out the following posts to the CABE regarding Huffman bicycles, frames, tanks and serial numbers from roughly the same period as your new bike.

http://www.thecabe.com/vbulletin/showth ... 43+huffman

Interestingly, this bike is virtually the same bike (give or take a year), by the same manufacturer as the one you were looking at on CL.

The bike you are buying is probably a 1946/1947 model and was available in a range of guises, with and without tanks. A true military or civilian model from 1942-1945 would not have a tank as the bikes from that period were striped of all unnecessary accessories.

If you decide to find a tank, several different Huffman tanks will probably physically fit as the configuration of the top of your bike is similar to a range of models they produced for several years. The correct tank will probably fall at the low end of the price spectrum for Huffman tanks ($100-$200 is probably about market correct) but they are not common so you need to know what you are looking for and keep your eyes open.

I don’t believe any tanks by other manufacturers will fit. On rare occasions tanks will cross-fit between manufacturers but usually they don’t and if you are spending money to get a tank it makes the best sense to buy the correct one.

SUPER helpful, rms37, thank you.

I may skip the tank altogether, as I said, because I do like the bike the way it is (and yes, I do see how similar it is to the one I was looking at before....that's why I was happy to get this one. The CL seller was ignoring me!) :)

Thanks to the others, too, for your creative suggestions in case I decide to err a bit more on the ratty side of things eventually! :mrgreen:

That's really awesome, Graylock!

simple! get a big ole' hunk of white foam, the kind that encases your coffee machine and whatnot, and cut it to fit in the hole, then carve it to your desired size, then take it out and cover in fiberglass! and to remove the foam inside(if you want to), just dril a little hole and put acetone in it! it desolves the foam! then bondo, primer, sand, whatever you want, and paint! 8) :mrgreen:

^Woah, good idea. I don't know if I'd use it to make a tank for a bike, but I'll definately keep that in mind for other projects.

hotfoot said:
^Woah, good idea. I don't know if I'd use it to make a tank for a bike, but I'll definately keep that in mind for other projects.

Yeah....sounds doable!

I've never put fiberglass on anything before...how on earth do you do it? Is it something you dip into, like a liquid form that hardens?

ok, i guess i forgot to tell you the whole fiberglass method. sorry. im gonna explain all the stuff you need to do it. so the stuff that makes it fiberglass is, well, fiberglass. it comes as either as a material type, or as the raw fibers. the material type makes for a smoother finish, and is easier to roll out.the raw fibers are for stuff your not gonna see much. heres the mesh: http://www.fibreglassmesh.com/Fiberglass_Mesh.htm
and the stuff that holds it all together is polyurethane resin. probably available at your local hobby store, if they sell planes, trains and model cars, they might have it. if not, you can ask, they'll know. if not, you can try various online stores. heres one: http://www.fxsupply.com/poly/poly.html .
and to put it all together, you have to mix the resin to the directions, and apply it one layer at a time. only mix enough resin to do a layer at a time. and make the batch so it dries slowly. you dip the fiberglass in resin, and lay it on the buck( in this case, the foam tank), and smooth it out. you can use a rubber roller to properly get out all the bubbles, but i dont think you need it. you should let it harden for at least a day, and then add layer by layer. when it sounds nice and hard, your done, and all you have left is to prime it, sand and bondo to your hearts content. then paint like you normally would, and presto!
i know it sounds like a long process, but it would be a good experience and it would be fun(if you like making things). wear gloves, work in an open place(i think outside of your garage, or with a fan blowing outside your garage), oh and wear clothes you never wanna wear again, including your shoes. you might even need a face mask thing, like the doctors wear: the resin does smell, but i choose not to wear one cuz i dont like them.
heres somethig made with this method:
http://leif.cx/photos/fiberglass/fiberglass4.jpg
i dont know what that is, but i shows you what it looks like. hope it helps, and i hope you like it. :D

very very cool, Stretch....I'm totally pocketing this for future reference! :)

Back