A tale of two Columbias

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
2 weekends ago I picked up a 65 Columbia Playboy. It was pretty much intact but had the wrong wheels and the polo seat was recovered.
44a65ee4dd727b030e2600cb918d4d4a.jpg

So now I had a chance to turn it down, service and clean it. I replaced the wheels, added the fenders, new grips and a chainguard. The guard is from a Murray product, but will have to do for now. Also need to find som ribbed material to recover the seat.
c2c79ed975b5234fc4275fef1a0d0069.jpg

So today I picked up another 65 Playboy. This one is tagged Goodyear, so now I'm not sure how it was equipped when new. If it weren't a Goodyear it would be a Playboy 88 because of the triple tree fork. But then it would also need fenders. The rear stays show no evidence of ever having a fender.
6610546dbe1e4115340bb3f7b67c97fd.jpg

So now I have another one to clean up. Problems, problems, problems!
abf3dc8f5f0fd1240da26f962c4ace59.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I had a Playboy like the red one when I was kid. Loved that one piece fork/bars. If I remember correctly, it was quite the wheelie machine. The last color I recall painting it was a deep metallic purple.....ah memories.....[emoji12]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice transformation on that gold one. Are those the original handle bars? Those are wild. Never seen any with that much of a v-shape.

Cool bikes!
Yes Chad, those the original bars on both bikes. The wide ones are cool, but they make it tough to turn a tight corner. That might be why they didn't last to long. Probably to many little Johnnies that crashed because they missed the turn!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back