"A Serious Ride": Getting Serious Again...

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Knocking the Mountain Out of a Raleigh M20

Like the paint!!!

Re: Knocking the Mountain Out of a Raleigh M20

Powder Keg said:
Like the paint!!!
Thanks! I'm pretty happy with it. Some of my "body work" showed up when the paint went on, but, I never expected perfection.

Got the chain back on and adjusted the brakes a bit more. I'm going to get some new brake pads though. The calipers are off a late 70's/ early 80's bike, and I suspect they are original. I need the bike to stop, not just slow down. Headlight works well though! Very bright!

Re: Raleigh M20 Mountain Extraction Complete (almost finished)

Got new brake pads at my LBS...work great! Then decided to re-route my shift cables over the handlebars like I did with my brake cables so they don't stick out in front of the bike so much. Seems to shift fine, and I think it looks quite a bit better. Also, got the saddle bag mounted up to the seat nicer...(just need to get that Schwinn logo off of it)...oh, and I'm going to take the MTB foot clips off too...then it's just a matter of decals :)
IMG-20120321-00358.jpg

IMG-20120321-00359.jpg

IMG-20120321-00360.jpg

Thought I'd add a little to the top tub of the frame while I wait for my Raleigh decals (my buddy's uncle was in a pretty serious ATV accident, so, there's no way I'm going to bug him about getting them any time soon). I had some stickers from my favorite artist, the Mad Creator himself, Gris Grimly. So, I added them and some pin-striping to the frame. I'm pretty happy with how it looks!
IMG-20120322-00361.jpg

IMG-20120322-00362.jpg

IMG-20120322-00363.jpg

IMG-20120322-00364.jpg

Re: Raleigh M20: Mountain Extracted, Almost Complete

You should use those rear brake mounts to put two bullet taillights on it and do away with the reflector.

Re: Raleigh M20: Mountain Extracted, Almost Complete

outskirtscustoms said:
You should use those rear brake mounts to put two bullet taillights on it and do away with the reflector.
I was thinking about doing something along that line. I ordered some blinking red LEDs last night from http://www.superbriteleds.com (love that site) that I'm going to work into those mounts somehow for taillights. Then I'll see about that reflector.

gcrank1 said:
I kinda like the toe clips; makes it look like a serious ride.
I like that! Can I use it?? "A Serious Ride"...it has a name!
I love this site. Sometimes, you just don't see something a certain way until somebody points it out. Toe clips stay :)

Re: "A Serious Ride": Raleigh M20 MTB Cruiser Conversion

My buddy's vinyl cutter is acting up and I'm impatient, so I ordered some decals off ebay to get this bike done.
This is what I wanted to put on:
Raleighlogo.jpg

(looks like the "h" got cut off on my screen, but you get the idea)
This is what I'm getting:
2012-03-24_0913.png

...not quite as cool, but not bad either

I received the blinking red LEDs from http://www.superbriteleds.com and got them wired up.
http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-...=ACCENTS&Page2Disp=/specs/wiredLED.htm#photos
I'm pretty happy with them, especially for the price. I mounted them in the mounts for the cantilever brakes that I'm no longer using.
Only one side of the diode inside lights up and the glass housing magnifies it. So, first of all, I figured which side that was so the light shines brighter behind the bike. Then I used a hot glue gun to hold them in place. They came with little mounting bezels for panel mounting them. I trimmed those back a bit so that more of the LED stuck out of the end.
IMG-20120327-00370.jpg

Next, I slid a piece of heat shrink tube over the LED and the cantilever mount and shrunk it down with a heat gun.
IMG-20120327-00371.jpg

Then, I trimmed off the excess heat shrink using an exacto knife. Then I used the heat gun again to try to clean up the end.
IMG-20120327-00372.jpg

I took a video with my phone of them blinking since you can't really get them in a photo, but, it doesn't seem to want to upload to my photobucket from my phone. They don't blink at the same rate, but, I guess that's a lot to expect for the price. the main thing is visibility. And...they look pretty cool too

Well, I got my frame decals in the mail today...
IMG-20120329-00379.jpg

I'm pretty happy with the way they look! I think it really completes that factory one-off look that was mentioned earlier in the thread. When I get a nicer day, I'll take some finished pics.

gcrank1 said:
Looks great, and you aren't going to see another like it; how does the position & ride feel?
Thanks! It rides great. I'm 6'4" and with the layback, even with the seat lower, it's still comfortable for me to ride. I am glad I swapped the mtb seat for a cruiser seat though, my posterior thanks me.

Re: "A Serious Ride": Raleigh M20 Cruiser Conversion- finished

Sweet ride, beautiful job, if only bike companies could build them as nice as that one.....

Re: "A Serious Ride": Raleigh M20 Cruiser Conversion- finished

Gorgeous! All you need now are some fork struts!

Well, so far, this summer has sucked. My wife is having some ongoing medical issues and then she lost her job because of the amount of work she missed. Unemployment has been delayed for some reason as well...so, needless to say, things are pretty tight in the IronDio household.

Enough of the pity party...just setting up the state of mind I am in. **If I still have the itch, but no means to scratch it with new projects...why not fix some things with old projects that have been bugging me??***

The Raleigh! I love this build! But, there were a few things that I think could be better:
The headlight shakes
The brakes suck
The wires are ugly
The back is too busy
It doesn't look old enough

A few nights in the garage scouring through parts, and here we go: [/URL[URL=http://s46.photobucket.com/user/tonyvenditto/media/20130710_200406_zpsbd3dda62.jpg.html] [/URL[URL=http://s46.photobucket.com/user/tonyvenditto/media/20130710_200351_zps9bc5da3d.jpg.html] [/URL[URL=http://s46.photobucket.com/user/tonyvenditto/media/20130710_200339_zps468d4561.jpg.html]

Back