A Saddle Question. Brooks B33

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jwm

Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got back from my first serious (20+ mile) ride on my newly overhauled Dyno. I put a Brooks B33 saddle on the bike. Now I have heard that the Brooks seats are extraordinarily comfortable, as well they should be at the price. But after my first ride- well, let's just say my hind end ain't feelin' the magic. :oops: The pamphlet that came with the seat mentioned a break-in period, just like a leather shoe. Don't get me wrong, it wasn't really uncomfortable, but still... :? I'd like to hear from anyone who owns this, or a similar model Brooks. How long did it take to break in the seat? Does it get better?

JWM

They do take some time. Some say 200 miles. Have you treated the leather yet? This will help protect and break it in. Use Brooks Proofhide or Obenhauf's Boot Care. I have grown to only ride on leather saddles. I don't own any like the B33, just a couple of B17s, Flyer, Pro, and a B67.

The other thing is just to get you rear used to something different.

9 more rides like this?
:cry:
Just kiddin'. As I said, it wasn't really bad. And yes, I did treat the saddle with the Proofide. Great stuff for your hands, too. I picked the saddle by dimensions. The B33, and B67 were the widest. After I had placed the order I noticed the B33 saddle was described as good for heavy riders on rough roads. I'm tall and skinny- 165 lbs. Maybe I need to double up on pizza, and cheeseburgers.

JWM

I'm on a B66 on my cruiser and a B17 on my roadster. The hide oil they make really helps to speed up the break-in period. It does take a bit of riding - I think more than 200 miles, depending on the weather too, I guess. But once they're past break-in, they're great. The kind of saddle you keep even when you change your bike. Good luck with yours.

Remember, the wider Brooks saddles are intended for a more upright riding position, where the narrower saddles are intended for a more aggressive riding position. While they look awesome on old bikes, the Brooks B-66, B-72, B-73 and similar may not be the most comfortable option if you are riding in a boardtracker stance or on flipped bars. Also, try not to go overboard with the Proofide, as you will over-soften the leather. This will dramatically shorten the life of the saddle, causing it to stretch beyond the ability of the tensioning bolt.

Thanks for the feedback and advice. It eased my concerns about the purchase. I did give the underside of the saddle a good treatment with the proofide last night, and I'll definitely take your advice, Slacker, about not over doing it. I forgot- here's the build thread on the bike-
Dynark Project- O'l Red.
These long wide bars keep me sitting straight up with all my weight on my hips. So, for a while anyway, I guess it's grin and bear it. I'm just recalling how long it took to break in my 20 eyelet Doc Martins. Even though I seldom wear the boots anymore, they still have a great fit. In the mean time I'm going to get a pair of those god awful biking shorts with the butt pad for the next few rides. I'll wear them where they belong- under my jeans. (just don't tell anyone, OK?)

JWM

Back