A sad bike day for me

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today I worked with a volunteer crew to clean up a pond that is in the middle of a social services agency. We pulled 8 bikes mostly bmx and mountain bike style out of it. All of them must have been there for a while because most of them was pure rust. One even snapped in half when I picked it up out of the water. Why on Earth would someone want to just toss a bike in a pond, let alone 8 of them? One of the mountain bikes looked like it might have been a nice one. Disk breaks, cool cargo rack on the back, but all of it shot from sitting in that water. My heart sunk seeing that rusty pile there. There may be more yet, but we could only go out so far, because I was not about to get water in my hip waders.

I had a sad bike day too... Where I live, if you live within the city limits, they do bulk trash pickup once a year and you can throw big piles of stuff at the curb and they'll come get it. If, like me, you DON'T live within the city limits, they let you bring a big load of stuff to the Municipal Building, where they sort it into piles like furniture, computers/TVs, barbecue grills, and bicycles. When I got there, there were a few random bikes around, but I noticed in the garage where they park the county trucks was some stuff that looked like they put it aside because it was looked good/new... in one bay was like 50 or 60 bicycles, but far enough back in the shadows that I couldn't make out any details of any of them. I asked one of the workers when I unloaded my junk, "What do they do with all those bicycles?" She said, "Oh, some of them get broken down for scrap..." I asked, "so they don't do like a big auction or anything?" "Nah, nothing like that." I kinda wanted to ask if I could go in and poke around, and maybe I should have, but I had a feeling the answer would have been "no"... they were pretty busy, there was a steady line of people driving in to dump stuff and it was getting near closing time.

So, all those homeless bicycles...

--rick

Sounds like kind of an Epic, so to speak, Day for bikes. For the last couple of weeks, Wayne, the Owner of my LBStash has been under the weather. Me and Florida'sFavSon had a chance to go there today. We arrived to the sight of a large dumpster, the ones that construction companys have when there demoing, we were greeted by his nephews. We got to talking and turns out Wayne had a mini Stroke several days ago and they were there for some reason, helping him clear out some trash and what not from his house. Turns out some of his family strongly believe he should just scrap of all his bikes in the back yard :cry: We talked to them for awhile, just trying to get the point across that we would be more than happy to take care of it all.

Nothing was really said about the future, but, the oldest nephew said that he would be glad to see the whole lot go! If someone could hang-out and get everything on Ebay, maybe. I did get to see the rest of his bikes that he had inside his house :D 1927 Exscelsior! It looked good!!! :shock:

Sad bike day for me too... well.. in my dream.

Last night I had a dream I opened the dumpster lid and it was filled with very old bikes. I was about ready to take them out and bring them home until some neighborhood kid walked up to me and said that the owner does not want any body on their property or near the dumpster. The little boy then told me to leave because the owner wouldn't want me there. In the dream, I was like okay so I left. But come to think of it, in real life I'd push the little kid down and get them bikes!!! haha just kidding about pushing the kid down, but I'd definitely get them bikes!

I guess you didnt see my bike i pulled out of the water....
Disc brakes etc. I salvaged the parts, not the frame because i didnt like it.

"not so fresh find, mongoose" in the fresh finds

Back