A.S.B.H.R.D Aperture Science Bi-Wheeled Human Re-Location

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well, I Have heard some rumors about it, But ill have to do some research on it. It should be there, But ill find out when i get there.

But what I know, Is apparently a place in upper Michigan had their own line of industrial bikes, Very similar to worksman. They had them badged with their own logos and whatnot, and they were built like tanks.
I know this company usually made Shower curtains in the 50s, and started looking into other things...
They made these bikes for personal, On-site use for lab technicians and experts. They had a pretty huge complex.

Ill keep you guys posted, I've got a stack of papers to go through. Build sheets, Dates, Parts, Pieces and repair recipts, tons of stuff. This stuff is a little dated, ill be working pretty hard to get it.

Re: My Entry-Gotta find it.

Wow, I lived there for over 5 years and never heard anything like that :?: There is a pretty insane bike community up there though and some A+ riding :D Hope you find what your looking for.

Did a little more research, Didnt find much on the bikes, but a bit more on the history of the company. They were founded by a man named Cave Johnson, They used the name Aperture Science Innovators to make their shower curtains seem cleaner or something like that. Later they purchased and converted a salt mine...and started building warehouses/facilities/laboratories...They started selling salt and apparently asbestos for whatever reason. They were in the top 5 of the best science companies of their time.
Do not spoil it for those who do not know

I think their bikes were made sometime between 52-58.

By the way-Found a photo of a really early billboard of theirs.
Underground_50s_welcome.png

Dr. Tankenstein said:
I believe these bikes were also used by the Dharma Initiative.

Yay! I have a Dharma logo stencil, and therefore I now have a Dharma Initiative Waverunner and utility trailer. I get lots of "question marks" about that one.

I think I found a picture of the bike for you...
ap1.jpg

talk about animal testing! :lol:

Upper Michigan as in the U.P. or the northern lower peninsula?

Ok, I give. The bike is based upon a very popular video game, Portal...A company in which the game is based off of. Of course they are not real, but look into their "History" Its pretty legit. I was trying to find photo editing software, I used to have Photoshop (CS3) But lost it. I downloaded gimp, and I'm having a hard time learning it. So I would rather finish the bike.

The only reason I was taking so long with updates, Was because I was trying to get extra creative. I had created some Names based upon Portal's Aperture Sciences clever names and acronyms. For Example, Bearings became Aperture Science Caged Load Bearing Spheres, or ASCLBS. I was going to do "Blueprints" for them, which explains the photoshop.

The Bike is going to be based off of a worksman frame. It is known as an Aperture Science Bi-Wheeled Human Re-Location Device. Or A.S.B.H.R.D. I've had ideas running through my head for quite a while.

The bike is supposed to look like it was found in the aperture science facilities, All faded and worn. It was to be used for transportation in the Labs, since the labs were so immense(Play the game, Cave johnson bought a salt mine to build the place)

Here is the frame I'm using. Right now it is in primer!
8f8b3c9d.jpg

I apologize, this is a little all over the place.

The Schwartz is strong in this one.

No real progress. Tooooo hot. But here's a shot of the paint.

Heirloom satin white. Basically a lightly yellowed white.
893e2c7d.jpg

Also, the badge.

864fde58.jpg

It's huge. That's how I wanted it. It almost covers the whole head tube. I wanted it huge because in the 50s, 60s aperture science was in their glOry days. Cave Johnson was bright and exuberant. The whole overall company was happy and whatnot.

A little more delay, and some serious progress should be coming. I
M still sorting a lOt of parts I bought.

Back