A question of ethics...

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So this is something that sparked a lot of debate with me and my friends last fall. One of us had noticed a sweet bike sitting by the side of the road back in August, and would always check it out whenever he drove by there. He said it never moved, but eventually someone had stolen its saddle. He first brought up the idea of "liberating" the bike after it had been there for a few months and not moving, the chain getting rusty and the wheels getting flat. First he had stopped and gone around knocking on doors to see if anyone owned the bike. None of the neighbors knew who it belonged to but they all confirmed that no one had touched it in months and one neighbor even suggested that he was thinking about cutting the lock and throwing the bike in the trash because it was an "eyesore". At first I was adament about not stealing any bike, it just doesn't seem right for whatever reason, but after I saw the bike I started to think about it differently.

We finally cruised over to that neighborhood one time in November, before the snow started to fall, and I took a couple of pictures. It was clear that someone had just forgotten or abandoned the bike, anyone who cared about it would have at least checked up on it or something, right? We all knew that with its location next to the road it wouldn't last long once the Rochester winter started and it would get plowed with snow and road snot all day for months. I finally gave my consent to my friend that I wouldn't stand in his way if he wanted to "liberate" the bike, and even helped him by pointing out that the cable lock had a lot of slack and the sign post it was wrapped around wasn't very tall. Only then did he seem to get cold feet, and while he was waiting and debating himself, it eventually just disappeared anyway, about a few weeks into winter, when it was starting to get covered in snow. We don't know if someone else stole it, or the neighbor who thought it was an eyesore actually got rid of it, or if the city removed it. It was just gone, maybe the original owner finally came and got it? Well, regardless, none of us ended up actually committing any crimes. But does anyone else think we would have been doing a good thing by trying to save this bike? Or were we on a dark path towards damnation? Is there a difference between bicycle theft and rescue?

Anyway, here is the bike, apparently an AMF(?) frame, with a mix of parts, including a 3 speed cassette on the back, and a grip shifter on the front, despite the lack of derailer and cable. If my friend had gotten it he could have done some fun things with it...

1991081086_ba67d86b00_b.jpg

1991088452_533c3be8d1_b.jpg

That's a tough situation... I think that after 2 or 3 months, that's not really stealing, it's more of an adoption... Poor, neglected bikes need a good home, right? After that long, the owner is clearly not coming back for it... Maybe put up signs saying you found a bike, and see if anyone calls to claim it, to ease your conscience, and after that, I think it's a pretty clear cut case of finders keepers... Anyway, it looks like someone else decided to ease your dilemma themselves. Hope it found a good home!

I would have liberated it.

I see bikes dumped in alleys, left behind buildings etc.
If they sit more than a month they are fair game.

I obviously assess each situation differently.
I (we) can always tell the difference between stealing
and rescuing.

Check with your local police department, most of them remove abandoned bikes if they're left on public sidewalks or chained to roadsigns for very long. Odds are if they have it they'll be auctioning it off soon.

It varies from state to state, but if the police auction it off it could be on their website. Here in Ohio, the various departments across the state are real good about posting auctions for confiscated bikes on a single site, http://www.govdeals.com/eas/index.cfm. Most of these auctions are bulk and they'll sell off all the bikes they accumulated during a season in one lot, but they still end up being cheap and affordable.

I had a similar situation about a month ago. There was a bike leaning against the brick enclosure around the dumpster at a local strip mall. It was there for about a week. I was not sure if it was placed there for someone to take rather than go in the dumpster or, if it belonged to one of the mall employees. I did not take it fearing that I might take someones only transportation to work. It eventually disappeared and I have not seen it since. In your case I might have taken it given the long period of time.

Sometimes a conscience is hard to live with. Knowing "what" the right thing to do isn't always easy. The RIGHT thing for one person isn't necessarily the RIGHT thing for another...............You did what you thought was the RIGHT thing for "you". Your a good man JoeyMac!............You followed your conscience.......That's all you can ever ask of yourself. :wink:

Gee everybody has their own way of justifing . Think of the thief that has just stolen your bike ....car....dog or whatever carring off your stuff and thinking to himself ...well it was just sitting there . My mamma told me ,when I was very young....If it aint yours dont mess with it. Seemed to work for me all my life. Just think if everybody followed that simple rule how much money we would save on locks and chains ...ha ha

Uncle Stretch said:
Gee everybody has their own way of justifing . Think of the thief that has just stolen your bike ....car....dog or whatever carring off your stuff and thinking to himself ...well it was just sitting there . My mamma told me ,when I was very young....If it aint yours dont mess with it. Seemed to work for me all my life. Just think if everybody followed that simple rule how much money we would save on locks and chains ...ha ha
gotta say im with you 100% on this!

I think the person who is wrong here is the bike's owner. City property shouldn't be used as long time storage or a place to abandoned unwanted things.

Obviously there could be more to the story.
Had parked his bike to run an errand across the street and was hit by limo and there was no next of kin.

Uncle Stretch said:

100% agreement here too.

-Mp

aka_locojoe said:
I think the person who is wrong here is the bike's owner. City property shouldn't be used as long time storage or a place to abandoned unwanted things.

Obviously there could be more to the story.
Had parked his bike to run an errand across the street and was hit by limo and there was no next of kin.

Hahahahhahahaha

vanilla_gorilla said:
jack it n be out

in so many words...

i really would have just gotten out my trusty bolt cutter "billy"

call me what you will, but it was honestly abandoned...

my radiator, my girls cat converter, and all the other things that people have jacked from me were firmly in their place - lame

its kinda like that 30/31 model a roadster chillin in an abandoned house..

I would have asked the guy who lived near by to report it to the police and then tell them that yall would take it of they planned to impound it.

i just live in an area where bikes that are left behind are "found by new owners" very quickly so im kinda conditioned to it
as for my stuff its very much secured so that doesnt happen to me, its unfortunate but it does happen alot

usually if something is left somewhere for 30 days, its abandoned. Ya know... ya leave your toaster at the repair shop for a month, they sell that thing! I say set it free!!

I would be pissed if I went to visit a friend and left my bike there and went on vacation or something and came back and my bike was gone! There was a similar situation here in Utah. A girl rode her bike to a hiking trail head. She was missing and on the news there was descriptions of the bike and everything. Since they couldn't find the bike they had few clues. After a while some people returned the bike to the police. Turns out they and spotted the bike and after a while seeing it they assumed it was abandoned and cut the lock and took it. I believe they eventually found the body near where the bike was. There is a lot of "what ifs" such as what if the bike was taken would they have found her alive? The bike was a huge piece of evidence. I don't believe the people were charged with anything but their actions did have a part in preventing the investigation from moving forward.
My personal feeling is that unless it is obviously abandoned like all rusty and sitting on the side of the road or something I would just leave it alone. Kinda a bummer because I see tons of cool old trucks and stuff just rusting away in fields and stuff.

Latest posts

Back