A Proper Rat Rod

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dig the stickers! And the cable coloring turned out very vintage-y looking. Fits the vibe well!

Just for the H of it, take a few Finished photos without the baskets....for comparison sake....and maybe.... :nerd:

Dig the stickers! And the cable coloring turned out very vintage-y looking. Fits the vibe well!

Just for the H of it, take a few Finished photos without the baskets....for comparison sake....and maybe.... :nerd:
Thanks OJ: maybe! the basket was a real pain to get on!!!!

(the basket clamps don’t line up well with the seat stays)

I’ll do my ‘project Complete’ before and afters with the baskets on, then make maybe fiddle with the baskets

i do think the black bar tape will have a big impact on overall look of the bike…. Plus those baskets make me feel like it’s a Harley Bagger!!!!! :21:

Unreal! I’m skittish on a lot of websites
Me too. I got burned on a scam website before so I'm pretty choosy.

The bike came out great! The green fenders go amazingly well with the black frame and red rims. The cables actually turned out pretty good too. The stickers are a nice touch. The flowers in the background of the pics compliment the rims nicely. Very cool bike. How is it to ride?

Me too. I got burned on a scam website before so I'm pretty choosy.

The bike came out great! The green fenders go amazingly well with the black frame and red rims. The cables actually turned out pretty good too. The stickers are a nice touch. The flowers in the background of the pics compliment the rims nicely. Very cool bike. How is it to ride?
Thanks for your input and insight on the build!

Actually, to my surprise, it rode GREAT!!!!

I mean, I figured it would ride nice, but what really threw me for a loop was the feel of a very light, agile bike!

I have a Schwinn suburban VERY similar to this build: tall frame, flipped n taped bars, new rubber, sharp tune…

That bike rides awesome. Smooth, heavy, yet pedals easy. It feels a little clunky moving around and turning.
5495EC90-8748-4432-94CC-2849E12E78E1.jpeg

This thing, quite honestly, I was stunned!

It pedaled and shifted fine, braked fine, but for some reason, it felt like a substantially smaller and way lighter bike than the suburban!

It’s not! (I don’t think!) - It has those crazy baskets on the back! Yet, the thing felt like one of my stripped down road bikes!

I’d like to throw them both on a scale and see if it’s weight, geometry…. Whatever!

It looks like a heavy, classic, vintage bike, but wow…. It really does ride nice
C43B4340-B7A9-4584-948D-A22E3F91921B.jpeg

I really like the way it turned out. It's making me want to build my Raleigh. I have all the parts (including the basket :bigsmile:), I'll just need to find a men's frame or move the top tube up on this one. I want to learn to braze better so this might be a good project for that.
IMG_1297.JPG

The flipped bars with bar tape on your bikes looks both stylish and comfortable. :cool:

I really like the way it turned out. It's making me want to build my Raleigh. I have all the parts (including the basket :bigsmile:), I'll just need to find a men's frame or move the top tube up on this one. I want to learn to braze better so this might be a good project for that.
View attachment 242019

The flipped bars with bar tape on your bikes looks both stylish and comfortable. :cool:
Skinny build off in January? 😉

Thanks for your input and insight on the build!

Actually, to my surprise, it rode GREAT!!!!

I mean, I figured it would ride nice, but what really threw me for a loop was the feel of a very light, agile bike!

I have a Schwinn suburban VERY similar to this build: tall frame, flipped n taped bars, new rubber, sharp tune…

That bike rides awesome. Smooth, heavy, yet pedals easy. It feels a little clunky moving around and turning.
View attachment 242016

This thing, quite honestly, I was stunned!

It pedaled and shifted fine, braked fine, but for some reason, it felt like a substantially smaller and way lighter bike than the suburban!

It’s not! (I don’t think!) - It has those crazy baskets on the back! Yet, the thing felt like one of my stripped down road bikes!

I’d like to throw them both on a scale and see if it’s weight, geometry…. Whatever!

It looks like a heavy, classic, vintage bike, but wow…. It really does ride nice
View attachment 242017
An English Raleigh is probably lighter than the Schwinn there is a reason they made the same bike for 60 years. I knew you would love it.

View attachment 242019

Thanks for your input and following my build. -that bike is super cool as is.

Just flip the bars and tape them…. Stick your fenders on, lube and go !!!

You may be able to put some flat mixte bars on there that would be super cool as well.

I have a black matching womens Raleigh I’m going to build to match this one.

I Hope your bike pedals freely and you don’t have to mess with the bottom bracket. -that is a total nightmare and lives up to the hype if you need to get the crank arms off and replace the axle or rebuild the bottom bracket.

Don’t mess with the frame or getting a mens frame. The green is awesome and that bike looks pretty close as-is and would be super cool done with a mixte vibe.

An English Raleigh is probably lighter than the Schwinn there is a reason they made the same bike for 60 years. I knew you would love it.
I just got back from a 7 mile test ride.

I can’t believe it, but I’m stunned! This was amazing! Felt light and agile, pedaled smooth and easy….

Thing is great. I can’t believe the ride.

Beautiful bicycle, Jude. Almost too nice to be called a rat.

Your build has me looking forward to working on the ratty Raleigh I recently picked up.
View attachment 242020
All over that!!!!! I just scored a Peugeot mixte the other day! I love Mixte’s and think they (and all step through bikes) are too easily overlooked.

I’d love to follow your build on that!

Last edited:
And, as I was telling @ingola : just got back from my traditional 7 mile test ride.
(From my house to willow bay and back, Onondaga Lake park)

Bike was flawless. Rides amazing: restoring one of these will push your patience and budget to the limits, but without question, this is now my go-to recreational rider.

Here’s the before and afters:
7A43876C-0ADF-4FD9-8CB0-CCE9AD52251E.jpeg
32C1E5FB-B89C-431B-B221-7DB183B50725.jpeg

2F376B69-AB96-4D6F-B5AE-E59F191FC8F1.jpeg
E8083AA6-BB82-4258-9701-64FF78999D8A.jpeg

7A12CC9A-DB96-4F25-B99C-2AB3969195F7.jpeg
8E9FCE11-6DDE-44DF-A8E0-36AFF5CFB6BF.jpeg

10F4DF5E-DB5D-418D-89F2-5284D1521734.jpeg
5CA438F2-8EEF-4036-9684-B2E75783FB15.jpeg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back