A LONG Day (cleaning out the shop)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yoothgeye

I build stuff.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I'd been planning this for a long time, and I really wasn't dreading it... but had a I known! :lol:

I was going to clean the shop last Saturday, but it rained all day, and I couldn't take everything out to clean, but today, no rain, but it was cold all day, oh well.

Many of you have probably seen photos either posted here or on Instagram where you could see the state of my shop... so sad.
(looking in the shop during a build after Christmas)
scott4.jpg

(as seen during the build off)
shopbuildoff_zps82cc9f5b.jpg

So it was quite bad.

I went out this morning just before 9am and started the process, first removing all the bikes, parts, tools, etc... Soon it looked like this outside the shop.

shopout_zps76dd1f44.jpg

:shock:

Actually, the removal process took over half the day. As I removed I did some sorting and the trailer is loaded up with all the scrap metal I deemed "not needed" during the day, I hope to go cash that in this week.

I didn't start putting things back in the shop till around dinner time. The process was slow and every time I looked out at all the stuff I just couldn't believe it had all come out of there.

Finally I got it all back in, you can walk into the shop without stepping over anything from all 3 doors. The "back" door can finally close. In the floor are some plastic bins of bike parts that I now need to go through and sort, but at least I can do it inside now.

shopin_zps566a5581.jpg

I got inside at 11:00pm. :eek:

I am tired and sore, but it was worth it, I can actually work INSIDE the shop now if I want to, which is something that hasn't happened since I built the 76er.

Enough typing, I'm getting in my recliner now... I deserve it. :mrgreen:

If its anything like my garage, I give it week, 2 tops... 8)

Theres nothing like a clean shop! Helps if, when you're done, you put everything away and sweep up. Then they stay that way longer.
Love the shot of the build off bike even if its the "messy shop" shot.

Bigcam59 said:
If its anything like my garage, I give it week, 2 tops... 8)

Haha, it could happen, but after spending 14 hours working on it, that will haunt me every time I go in there.

Have been planning a cleaning day in the shop to since you can hardly walk in there now, But thanks to the wonderful weather its been put off for a while. It may become a 2 day thing when it happens so I can rewire the garage while I can reach all the areas

Good job. That's one of those things that I put off to, and then once it's done I wonder why I waited so long. Plus you get to cash in on some of the junk you've been trippin over all this time!

A clean shop, like a clean desk, is the sign of a sick mind! BUT it's a lot easier to work in, ain't it?
(you all are just suffering from a dose of spring fever - it will pass)

Gizmo

Peatbog said:
Speaking of cool, your blurry/in-focus/blurry picture is pretty sweet in its ability to render your outdoor collection as to be a pile of miniatures.

I was really drawn to that myself. I turned my head at an angle just to see if I could see any little Tim Burton characters in there!

CCR said:
What's the floor runner say ? I still can't read it :lol:

"Awesome Food, Serious Salad Bar" from Ruby Tuesday restaurant, it's a 3'x15' mat that would have gone in front of their salad bar. There are 2 more Ruby Tuesday mats in there, I use to work for Cintas and when they would rotate out old "worn" mats I would raid our dumpster. They have tons of uses and last forever, they only throw them away to charge the customer more money for a scheduled replacement.

dragnusa said:
Have been planning a cleaning day in the shop to since you can hardly walk in there now, But thanks to the wonderful weather its been put off for a while. It may become a 2 day thing when it happens so I can rewire the garage while I can reach all the areas

I planned to do this last Saturday but it rained all day, so I cleaned out my closet instead. Removed the single bar and put in 2, doubled my space. Yeah, it was cold working yesterday, but it kept me working.

Peatbog said:
The shop looks waaaaaaaaaaaaay better, but you seem to have lost the fire in the garbage can. That was cool.

Speaking of cool, your blurry/in-focus/blurry picture is pretty sweet in its ability to render your outdoor collection as to be a pile of miniatures.

The trash can fire can is still there, just didn't want to smoke up the place yesterday, was more worried about working then warming myself around a fire.

The blurry/in focus thing is because that was a photo I posted on Instagram, it only posts square photos, so I had to tilt the phone corner to corner to get all my mess in there, and even then still missed some. The blurry is a filter they have, helps draw attention where it's supposed to be.

Toeslider said:
Hey, what's the orange bike to the left of the garage door in the outdoor shot? It's not a Ross mountain bike, is it?

Not a Ross, it's a Gravity brand bike, 29er, rigid, single speed, like a big BMX since I ordered the small frame size.

Wow great work, Yoothgeye! :shock:

There's something about that feeling of pride when you see what you have accomplished :D

I bet if I went back thru my facebook updates, I clean my garage at least once a month. Today I sold 2 more bikes,(4 this week) so I came home and cleaned up,again. Took usable tires and fenders up to my shed. Moved "stuff" around, and trew away stuff. Then I pulled a girls Roadmaster from the hooks, and tore it apart, soaking the chrome bits in my oxalic acid tank. Polished the rusty frame up, and added a tank that dogdart lent me. ( i now OWE him,darnit) Gonna give it to my mom-in-law. The garage (i car) just never seems to stay clean,asI have lots in there. A kayak on the wall, and soon, my 2 motorcycles will come out of the neighbors garage, and back home. THATS when it gets tight. Gotta sell one or maybe both. I dont ride much anymore. Got a company van, so I dont commute anymore.
Sorry for bogarting ur thread,YG. I wish I had a big garage like urs.

The neighbor brought over his bike today, flat tire. I was able to roll it into the shop and put it on the stand... INSIDE THE SHOP! Amazing.

bikejunky said:
Did you find any treasures when you cleaned up?

Everything I own is a treasure, I just better organized them all. :lol: Seriously though, it is cool going through all the stuff I've acquired, it's like being a kid in a candy store... then you realize you own the store. :shock:

SSG said:
Shame you're so far away, I know a perfect place where you could dump all that left over junk. Being able to work inside is a big improvement I'm sure.

Yep, I'm about to go out there now, and though it's cold inside, there is no wind.

Thats a ton o work. I just spent sunday from 12pm to 5pm cleaning my garage so I could have some members of our Cub Scout den come over and help them build their Pine wood derby cars. A lot of work, but it needed to be done anyway. Now to keep it clean, lol, yeah right.

Onewheelsqueel said:
Thats a ton o work. I just spent sunday from 12pm to 5pm cleaning my garage so I could have some members of our Cub Scout den come over and help them build their Pine wood derby cars. A lot of work, but it needed to be done anyway. Now to keep it clean, lol, yeah right.

I haven't had a good day of work like that in a long time. I ate a bowl of cereal before going out there before 9am, then around 11am my stomach was cramping so bad I thought I might have had a virus or something, turns out I was out of calories. That's when I took my son to sign him up for t-ball and grabbed a $5 Little Caesars pizza on the way home, at a few slices sitting outside and went back to it. From then on I didn't eat. Along about 10:30pm my feet were dragging, I felt "wobbly," and generally out of it. I was done, spent, used up, and overall very proud of what had been accomplished.

Back