A little Super Tanker inspiration goes a long way. PAINT 6/7

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since I first saw a picture of the Super Tanker I loved it, and then when I saw it was built from one of those ugly StingRay chopper things I loved it even more. :shock:

Well, I got my hands on a StingRay chopper Monday and put it in the shed for a later day...... Thursday. :D After disassembling it Thursday I started brainstorming what I wanted to do with it. Tonight I went crazy on it, so here it is after two nights of work.

First off, the disgusting before picture:
DSCN5311.jpg

And after one good night of frame building:
DSCN5341.jpg

DSCN5346.jpg

This one will have more of my "trademark" tac welded gussets and a "floating" modern springer seat. I have brainstormed making it into sort of a boardtracker.

Re: A little Super Tanker inspiration goes a long way.

Very cool. The seat sounds interesting. I can't believe Schwinn had the guts to call those pimped out bikes Stingrays.

cman said:
I can't believe Schwinn had the guts to call those pimped out bikes Stingrays.

Not that it matters much recently, but don't forget, "Schwinn" now is just another brand name under Pacific Cycles ownership. Nothing about those bikes is remotely related to the original Schwinn from Chicago aside from some trademarked model names, etc. All of it is just made overseas garbage, IMHO. Truly sad. THIS "Supertanker II" is going to be a massive improvement over anything "Schwinn" could possibly put their name on.....great stuff!

I finally got my shock for the seat, so after another full night of working, got the seat mounted. I was hoping to have more than just a seat mounted, but it took longer than I expected. :roll:

Mounting tubes/brackets:

DSCN5409.jpg

I used the stripped down seat from my straightbar and added a bracket for the shock:

DSCN5411.jpg

Overall view:

DSCN5413.jpg

DSCN5415.jpg

Re: A little Super Tanker inspiration goes a long way. SEAT 5/22

very kool, nice work ya done. i'll be watching this one. it's something like my Grandson's that we are building.

Outlaw :mrgreen:

Interesting seat mount. Love your stuff.This one might be as cool as your womans trike! :wink:
L8 EM

TheDuke said:
Interesting seat mount. Love your stuff.This one might be as cool as your womans trike! :wink:
L8 EM

Very Cool!...This thing has "MENS" written all over it!

Although looking at it again-If you have to stop fast you could damage the 'MAN' parts! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
L8 EM

TheDuke said:
Although looking at it again-If you have to stop fast you could damage the 'MAN' parts! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
L8 EM

:shock: :shock:

it remends me of the Munroe Special.

LOVE IT DUDE! This might actually be somewhat comfortable to ride, unlike the supertanker. Nothing take KennyP Your a bamf at what you do, I just really dont like that one lol :wink: Kenny knows i love his work haha. cant WAIT To see more pics.

Worked on her a little bit over the course of the weekend. Another shipment of ebay shocks came in Friday so I swapped the seat spring out for one with a little less spring rate so the seat moves a little more now. Slapped a couple pieces of chain together and zip-tied a brake cable in place so I could take her for a test ride. Found out the fender needed some serious notching to keep the chain from rubbing on it, also found that the bottom bracket needed to be moved up to keep the pedals from dragging on almost every crank. The bike rides ok. It might be a little more comfortable for someone that isn't over six feet tall like me. And since they probably wouldn't have ape arms like me, it might then need a different handlebar set-up. :lol:

Here she is so far:

DSCN5422.jpg

DSCN5420.jpg

Next will be figuring out gusset placement and an overall look for the bike. I've already nicknamed it "Bruiser" just by the looks of it and the fact that there isn't any padding on the seat, so I think it will end up being a black and blue bike in keeping with the name.

Re: A little Super Tanker inspiration goes a long way. Updt 5/26

inspiring! very nice work...

got a Q for you tho... is that the stock stingray fork?
if it is, is the height adjustable without too much work?

thanks in advance dude.

Back