a little help needed ----

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
first question - i have a trek 800 mountian track , altus group-set ( 3x7) - and it had 2 bent up wheels ( bad) and i am intending to replace them with 2 off a mongoose pro i took in on trade some time ago - the 'goose was a mega-range shimano set up ( 3x7 ) - so if i switch the wheels and read derailer , i can still use my altus front derailer and my rapidfire shifters, correct ?

second question - i recently picked up a correct size threadless headset adapter set up to switch the 800 to a threadless set up so i can use a nice pair of rock shox judy's i picked up - ive never done this conversion before - any pointers or tips ? i picked up the park tool remover tool and have a press ( came with my park tool kit) - im just kinda nervous to do it - first time and all - advice or pointers would be awesome

thanks in advance guys - id really love to get this old horse on her feet and on a trail

Last edited:
first question - i have a trek 800 mountian track , altus group-set ( 3x7) - and it had 2 bent up wheels ( bad) and i am intending to replace them with 2 off a mongoose pro i took in on trade some time ago - the 'goose was a mega-range shimano set up ( 3x7 ) - so if i switch the wheels and read derailer , i can still use my altus front derailer and my rapidfire shifters, correct ?

second question - i recently picked up a correct size threadless headset adapter set up to switch the 800 to a threadless set up so i can use a nice pair of rock shox judy's i picked up - ive never done this conversion before - any pointers or tips ? i picked up the park tool remover tool and have a press ( came with my park tool kit) - im just kinda nervous to do it - first time and all - advice or pointers would be awesome

thanks in advance guys - id really love to get this old horse on her feet and on a trail

Question 1- Correct. You may not even have to change the rear derailer, if it's long-cage.

Question 2- how old is the 800? It's a one and a eighth threaded set up now? Switching headsets is fun and easy... if you have the right size. Just go one cup at a time when you';re pressing them in.

reply to #1 - i have the megarange derailer also - in your opinion would it be better to use the matched set ? or the altus derailer ?

reply to #2 - the 800 is late 1990's vintage - so on the pressing , do one side at a time then

Late 90s is good; prolly 1.125" threaded, so you're covered. The Altus is probably slightly nicer, but use whichever one is in better shape.

1 cup at a time will help you keep it straight. 2 at a time, and it might start going in cockeyed.

Altus 7 speed is 1990s.....
Adjust to 3-4th gears, the rest are fallout!

Latest posts

Back