A hybrid hybrid?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finished the build off and also got a promotion at work, so figured I'd celebrate by buying another bike! LOL

Easier said than done when you're 5-8 but need about a 27" stand over height. :doh:
Most road bikes and a lot of cruisers are just too tall.
Found a lot of mountain-type bikes that were low in the back and tall in front. Street tires and different bars and you'd have a start of cool bobber or chopper. Maybe another time.
Comfort bikes with the pedals forward are interesting. My Huffy Parkside is like that, but not nearly as much as others. Electra Townie is one. Yeah, sure I got a promotion, but it wasn't big enough to pay for one of those! :cry:

So I found this Hyper SpinFit. It's called a hybrid. A cross between a road bike and mountain bike. Skinny 700c tires, tiny seat, and aluminum frame like a road bike, but short flat handlebars and lower gearing like a MTB. Supposed to be the best of both worlds. Best feature for me is the 17" seat tube! The square section top tube is cool too.
So I bought it. It fits me pretty well, even though I hated the bars and seat. I could fix that a lot easier than I could fix stand over height! :bigsmile:

Since this is a new school type of bike, I decided that even if I used cruiser bars, I wanted to keep it in the 21st century, while still being comfortable for this mid 20th century little old fat man to ride.

New off the showroom floor...
IMG_20180802_192147.jpg

After a few part swaps and additions...
thumbnail.jpg

Had to replace the grip shifters for thumbies. Not a big fan of the rev-o-shift concept. When I have a twist grip on the right side, I always want to pull back to go faster, like a motorcycle. The shift cables were sized for the short bars, so the the thumb shifters are down near the stem. Almost like stem shifters, but not quite. They work just fine there.

So now the bike is a hybrid that had been hybridized with a cruiser. A hybrid hybrid maybe? Or maybe it's just a mut. LOL

I think there was a build off here a few years back with skinny tires on a cruiser as the theme.

I reworked a $99 Hyper cruiser awhile back and sold it for more than it cost. They don't seem like too bad a bike, but like most inexpensive bikes, you'll probably need to grease and adjust every last set of bearings while it's new so you don't wear anything out. I spent a few hours going through this cruiser to get it just right.
index.php

700c tires come in wider widths, up to 40 somethings, equivalent to 1 3/4 inches, that might help when you need another set of tires. That will give it an even smoother ride.

I know what you mean about the bearings. The bottom bracket tool I ordered just came in.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Finally got around to checking out the bearings on the Hyper. Figured while I was at it, I ought to check the BB on my Huffy Parkside too. I've had it a year and haven't checked any of the bearings. Shame on me!
Good thing I finally did this. BB bearings in the Huffy had some gooey clear grease. I cleaned it up and put in my high temp wheel bearing grease. The Hyper had no gease in the BB. It has plenty now. :)
Wheel bearings were good in the Hyper though. Added a little more since I was in there. The Huffy needed grease in the wheels.
Also changed out the plastic dork disks with cool chrome ones. The 1 yr old Huffy's was already turning yellow.
2703eaf915d9ca7a50de752b9e04cbb5.jpg
b048afa5c5b928a0d65e445b0aa7a002.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back